Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cmd Line Switch/argument Help! Win Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaveMcKeen

DaveMcKeen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

I hope this is on topic for this forum! I want to create a Start Menu shortcut that runs a program (application) and opens a specified file when that program runs.

The Program:
E:\Ap\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Photoshop.exe

The File:
D:\Data\Photography\Projects\Promotional Documents - Biz Comp Flyer\CD Label\Photoshop\9-step scale.jpg

I think I'm looking for the same thing as a command line syntax, something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\dmckeen> program filespec /file filespec

I want to enter the syntax I'm looking for in the Target line of the Properties dialog of the Start Menu Shortcut I'm creating. I'm sure this is simple, but I've been going nuts trying to tell Google what I want.

Thanks in advance,

- Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hi DaveMcKeen, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

The Syntax of the command should be like this:

"E:\Ap\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Photoshop.exe" "D:\Data\Photography\Projects\Promotional Documents - Biz Comp Flyer\CD Label\Photoshop\9-step scale.jpg"

That's the full path of the application, followed by the full path of the file to be opened. Since the paths have spaces in the, enclose each one in quotes with a space between them.

#3 DaveMcKeen

DaveMcKeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

That's it! Thanks, AA. That gets me going.

- Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users