Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Not Rebooting Correctly. Help!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

someone help me!!! i have a problem with my computer. for some reason when i woke up today, i noticed that my computer was off which is weird because i never usually turn it off. so i push the power button and it starts up. then it goes into that part that shows u the different options of starting up if u incorrectly turned it off before. i was guessing this happened because it seemed like there was a power outage in my house with all the reseted clocks. so i choose the option that says "start windows normally" and it goes into that windows loading splash page but instead of going into windows after that...IT REBOOTS AGAIN!!! i was like wtf? so then the process starts over again up until that choosing startup page agen so i choose the option with the best settings to startup and it reboots again. so then i try all the safe modes and it still doesn't work. so now i'm stuck and tripping like f***. so with this post...i was wondering...CAN ANYBODY HELP ME FIX THIS???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:29 PM

Have you tried selecting "Last known good configuration"?

#3 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

yeah...thats the option i meant when i said best known settings. so i tried all the options already.

#4 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:16 PM

Was your computer plugged into a surge protector or straight into the wall outlet?
X

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:18 PM

Sounds to me like the system is crashing. Try this,

reboot
on the screen where it let's you choose from Safe mode, Last Known Good Config, etc. select Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure. Then when the system crashes, it should give you a blue screen with information about the crash on it. Write down everything on the screen and post it here.

#6 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:23 PM

i actually don't have that option on the page. only have "safe mode", "safe mode with networking", safe mode with command prompting", "last known good configuration" and "start windows normally". yeah...

#7 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:01 AM

Nevermind. I tried F8 and more options came up, and the one you said was part of it. The blue screen says I have
"UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"
The technical information is: *** stop: 0x000000ed (0x812f9908, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I hope this helps out.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:20 AM

Okay, it seems that the file system was damaged when the computer lost power.You'll need your Windows XP installation disk to perform a disk check. Do you (any a friend) have a Windows XP installation disk?

#9 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:35 AM

hey...i finally got an XP disk...now what do i do?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:28 AM

Change your boot options in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD drive is the first boot device.

http://www.schrockinnovations.com/chkdsk.php Skip listed steps 4 & 5 and go to 6 (after 3).

Louis

#11 gcj52

gcj52

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

have same problem as deezdmngooks except error message is C000021A fatal system error. have windows XP CD but when I turn on system it does not go to cd to boot from it. how do get system to reboot from cd and run recovery console as I have seen in other posts. thanks.

#12 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:01 AM

yea...nothing's happening for me either. i changed the boot priority to the cd drive and rebooted it but it keeps going to the same startup options not giving me any other option like described in the instructions from the link. i even tried making boot disks instead thinking that would be different but still same result. can anybody help me and go into more detail on how to even make this happen???

#13 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:41 AM

If you have set boot priorities in bios (del at bootup?) to the cd/dvd drive as your primary boot device and saved upon exit (F10?), then there is something wrong with probably either your system setup or the windows cd.
Does your cd drives function proper and show up i bios.
Do you have another boot cd you can try.

It should be pretty straightforward. :thumbsup:

#14 deezdmngooks

deezdmngooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

yeah...i tried a cd and a floppy boot disks. it just doesn't work. i was wondering if i could just use a hard drive enclosure on it and backup the info on it to another cpu and then reformat it because i was planning on building a new cpu. any info?

#15 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:43 PM

Before you got any chance of a windows install, you need to get that dvd drive sorted.
You are doing something wrong.
I advice you go over all the advice carefully once again.
Is there power on the drive. Is the led on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users