Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 101airborne

101airborne

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:18 AM

O.k. just f.y.i. i am not a complete computer guru and have only some knowledge of computer tech. I have reviewed eons of posts and have come to no conclusion for my usb problems.

That being said here is my dilemma:

I have a Sandisk cruzer 1gb that doesn't show up in device manager, disk management, or My Computer. I have attempted to update drivers from the devices website, but its says i already have the drivers necessary. I know that it my usb port is "talking" in a sense to the flash drive because when i plug in the drive i hear the ba-ding tone that tells me something new was connected. This flash drive works on other people's computers as i have tested it on three others. I can plug other reliable USB devices into my USB port(s) and it works fine. I have tried the flash drive on all the ports on my computer, and to my dismay none of them recognize it. I have no idea how to fix it!

I have 2 External USB 2.0 SAMSUNG LightScribe DVD+CD burners. One has been showing up in my device manager as an unknown device and it has worked plenty of times before. The device does not have a question mark or exclamation point over it in the device manager. When I have tried to update the drivers via Hardware Update Wizrad it tells me that it could not find any drivers better than the ones installed. I've had this problem before and it magically fixed itself after a month or so. The power saving feature has been disabled (the port doesn't shut down to save power). When I plug dvd burner #2 in it doesn't recognize the burner and instead of being a unkown device in device manager, it says, "USB storage adapter AT2 (TPP)" with a red "x" through it it says that the device is disabled and for some reason it won't let me enable it. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:34 AM

Does the flash drive show up in My Computer?

Edited by dc3, 08 November 2007 - 02:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

Sounds like your USB chip is going/gone.

A PCI card for USB capability works, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....me=%241+-+%2410

I would also try removing all drivers for the USB capability (using Device Manager) and a reboot of the system.

I'd also take a look at errors reflected in Event Viewer that might impact.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:35 AM

What kind of computer do you have laptop/desktop? Are your external devices (flash drive / DVD burners) connected to the comptuer via a hub?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:35 PM

if this is a Desktop, replace the motherboard. if it's a laptop, start pricing out a new(ish) laptop.

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

If you have a desktop machine and a spare PCI slot then you could buy a 5 Port USB 2.0 Card. Getting this would circumnavigate the onboard (mobo) chipset and should allow you to connect your devices.

Edited by FireKracker, 10 November 2007 - 09:16 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#7 101airborne

101airborne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:01 AM

Ok so i did a little poking around via registry editor and i managed to get my USB ports to recognize the sandisk drive :huh: , but now it says that the drivers are not installed :thumbsup: . The DVD drive is now showing up as an unknown device in device manager. is this a driver issue?

if so, is there a way i can re-instate the drivers for my devices? i have tried a few free-ware programs that try to help me detect the drivers i need, and those don't seem to be working. And in my searching Windows update i have only seen drivers for windows 98. Help?

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

you can run CCleaner and use the registry option, you'd have to make multiple passes till it reported no errors.
there is Driver Cleaner, used to be free, but that may work. if the ports are visible in device manager, I'd try forcing them to take updated drivers. that will mean going to the manufacturer of the unit (since there's been no word as to if this is a laptop or dekstop), the last resort would be to back up your data, and reformat and reload windows from scratch.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

It would be nice to know what you mean by "poking around via registry editor" in the registry.Does that mean you eliminated registry entries?

Since the result of such seems to have been problems that you didn't have before...maybe you need to try to undo that.

As for devices which are reflected as "unknown", those typically are devices requiring drivers.

The easy way to address that is to remove drivers via Device Manager...reboot...allow XP to use native drivers...use the driver CD which came with your system to reinstall drivers...and use any driver disks which you might have for other components to install such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users