Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ongoing Freeze Problems

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:54 PM

Hello everyone!

I have recently did a repair install of XP Pro. I had some problems with the updates afterward and after I got everything working and updated properly, I got hit with malware. I had that taken care of, thanks again RichieUK, yet there are some seriously persistent problems (HERE is the link).

Basically the problem is slowness. Windows freezes on load and shut down screens. Once I can finally get windows loaded the mouse pointer freezes as does the rest of the computer. I can barely go to start to shut down without it taking an absurd amount of time. As I mentioned earlier, I have clean HJT logs and malware is undercontrol, as far as we can tell. I've run check disk, defrag, clean disk, and what have you. I was able to get into safe mode and use msconfig to shut down some of the norton anti-virus startups. This has helped and the computer doesn't freeze as badly or as often but it does still happen. However, I feel this is simply a temporary fix, hiding deeper, more important issues. Is it possible for it to be physical damage of some sort due to my transporting it back and forth? I have a feeling this is it. Any way to check? Also, it seems that when the screen freezes, if I press the spacebar or click the mouse, it "jumpstarts" the processor. I know this sounds weird, but it works, not all the time, but it does. Any help would be appreciated.

Here are my system specs, cause I know you are dying to know them :thumbsup: :
XP Pro SP2
HP Pavillion dv4000
2GB RAM
100GB Hard Drive with 41.9GB free
1.86 GHz Centrino

Thanks again. As a student I need my laptop for word processing and it freezes all the time. How annoying!

drunkle
"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:43 AM

Check in the Event Viewer for any errors that might help pinpoint the problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:26 AM

Sorry for the delay in reply, but it took quite a while to run the scans and what have you.

The majority of events under the 'application' heading are informational. Most of entries are listed as 'ccSvcHst 35' the description 'ccEvtMgr service started'; or 'ccSvcHst 34' the description 'ccSetMgr service is starting'. Every once in a while there's this:

SymAppCore
description: The description for Event ID (0) in Source (SymAppCore) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or missing DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service Started.

in addition to the SymAppCore, I have a few occurances of iPod Service, LiveUpdate Notice Service as well with this very same message. I plan on dumping Norton in a few days when my subscription runs out, should I just do it now?

Continuing on...There are no messages under Security or Internet Explorer. Under System there are these, with the red X's:

Event ID: 7000
Source: Service Control Manager
Description: The HP Pci Information service failed to start due to the following error: The System cannot find the path specified.

Event ID: 10005
Source: DCOM
Description: DCOM get error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode "attempting to start service EventSystem with arguments"" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Event ID: 32003
Source: ipnathlp
Description: The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.
bytes. 0000: 1f 00 00 00 ----

I hope this helps. I can only get off a few keystrokes before the computer freezes, more if I am disconnected from the net.

drunkle

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

Dump Norton and use the Norton Removal Tool to remove all traces of it from your system: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

Install a good antivirus, antispyware, and firewall to protect you. See this link for some free alternatives: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

The system errors depend on if you were in Safe Mode when they occurred. Please re-check for these errors after you've removed Norton and installed other security applications.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

I will dump Norton tonight since I only have 3 days of service left anyhow. Other than that I'm relatively well protected. I use Ad-adware, Spybot, and AVG Anitvirus for my malware needs and I have just started using Comodo Firewall. I'll get back to the thread as soon as Norton is gone. As far being in Safe Mode, I cannot be sure (unless it says in the event viewer, i don't know how to check) since I was going back and forth there for a while.

drunkle

#6 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:45 PM

Ok, I'm back...

I just dumped Norton and so far (after restarting several times) I have not noticed any problems. No cpu freezing, no lag while typing, no random spikes in cpu usage. If Norton was the culprit all along why did it wait until now to manifest itself? I have had the product for almost two years and have not noticed anything like this before. But, as promised, here are some of the latest event viewer entries:
Under the Application heading...

Event ID: 1517
Source: Userenv
Description: Windows saved user PC369813976260\Matthew Smith registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID: 1524
Source: Userenv
Description: Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

These are from the System heading...

Event ID:7000
Source: Service Control Manager
Description: The HP Pci Information service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

Event ID: 1002
Source: Dhcp
Description: The IP address lease 10.59.0.178 for the Network Card with network address 00150023CA1F has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.123.254 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Event ID: 17
Source: W32Time
Description: Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

I hope these help shed some light on the situation. Like I said, I have not noticed any performance issues since the deletion of Norton. The last issue was before the changes with Norton. Once again, I appreciate the help.

drunkle

Edited by drunkle, 10 November 2007 - 11:49 PM.

#7 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

Well, strike that last comment. I booted my laptop up today and it was as bad as ever. The cpu usage jumps to 93% and up and everything, even the processing, seems to stop. This time I even lost all four of my usb ports; neither my optical mouse nor my flash drive would work in any of them. I tried them in other computers here at school and they both work just fine. This is unbelievably frustrating, especially this time of year when all my papers are due. I guess we're back to square one. I haven't been able to get into the computer to check the event log, it even freezes in safe mode. Please, any suggestions. I need to do the repair on my own as much as possible since I don't have the money to send it out somewhere.

Is there a way to test for hardware defects?

drunkle

Edited by drunkle, 12 November 2007 - 09:38 AM.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:51 AM

What process is using all the CPU in the Task Manager?

You can test your hard drive by downloading a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer's website.

You can test your RAM using memtest86.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

Hello Budapest,

When I open task manager (note: I don't realy know what it is I'm looking for) the items taking up the most memory are explorer.exe, svchost.exe, cfd.exe, and firefox.exe in that order. explorer is using somewhere around 27,000k and svchost is right behind. Please keep in mind that these numbers are when the computer is being managable. When the usage spikes, the entire computer stops. I can't get a good read because processes stop updating on the screen and the cpu usage freezes as well. And by the time the cpu resolves itself, I miss the numbers.

I have a toshiba hdd and I wasn't able to find a diagnostic tool from them directly. They just mentioned using SMART. I did download HD Tune.exe as I have seen others use it. I did the long scan and it came back as being perfectly healthy, 3664 life hours, and no bad sectors. I then went into BIOS and ran the hdd self-test there. The quick, comprehensive, and the SMART came back as pass. That's a relief :thumbsup:

As far as the Memtest is concerned, I ran out of media backing up my hdd and I need to buy more to make a boot cd with the ISO I downloaded. I'll let you know the results of the test as soon I get to it.

As it stands now, it seems to be a "good-day-bad-day" thing, with every other day being good. I can load up the computer and it works perfectly. Then the next time I get on (doesn't matter if it is from standby, hibernate, or a fresh boot) the thing laughs at me and I can't even shut it down properly. I want to mention again how much I appreciate the help I have received here at BC. While I have some experience with manufacturing machines and servers, I am clueless as to how they operate. One day I hope to be able to help people with their problems as you have with me.

drunkle

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

When I open task manager (note: I don't realy know what it is I'm looking for) the items taking up the most memory are explorer.exe, svchost.exe, cfd.exe, and firefox.exe in that order. explorer is using somewhere around 27,000k and svchost is right behind. Please keep in mind that these numbers are when the computer is being managable. When the usage spikes, the entire computer stops. I can't get a good read because processes stop updating on the screen and the cpu usage freezes as well. And by the time the cpu resolves itself, I miss the numbers.

Actually, it's not memory use that is important here but CPU use. In your other post you said that the CPU use jumps up to 93%. I would guess that there is one process that is using all this CPU. If we could isolate which process this is it would probably go some way towards isolating the problem.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

I hope I got the right info this time around. I apologize as I thought that the increasing memory usage is what was used to figure CPU usage. Sorry. The machine still freezes, not as often as before, but as I mentioned earlier this could be a 'good-day' moment. With this being said, I'm afraid I might have been interpreting the situation wrong. When the computer freezes, it does so when CPU usage is at 4-5%. It also freezes when the CPU hits capacity, but that doesn't happen as often as I thought. I'm sorry for the misinformation. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

The two largest eaters of both memory and CPU are, surprise surprise, firefox.exe and iexplore.exe. I don't use them in tandem as I am not a glutton for punishment, but when I would surf the net each one, depending on which was being used, would suck up resources. I tried to jot down the other processes and their respective CPU level. Here is a list and a brief description if available:

These processes would show up at random from time to time and jump from 2-7; whether or not the computer was idle or not (online or MS Word):
taskmgr.exe
ApntEx.exe
avgas.exe
lsass.exe
csrss.exe
cpf.exe

Odd balls:
guard.exe -- not sure what this is exactly, but it would jump towards the top of the list hitting somewhere around 17 or so. I believe it happened more often when IE was running.
services.exe - this topped out at 13 or so and I only happened to notice it 2, maybe 3 times
System -- every once in a while this entry, with not file extension listed, would hit around 8

The major players:
iexplore.exe -- would jump any where from 3 - 90 depending on what IE is trying to do
firefox.exe -- would do the same as IE, often jumping from 3 --80
explore.exe -- this program would stay idle (zero cpu measured) and then shoot to 60 or so. I only noticed this when IE was operating.
svchost.exe -- this one I saw bounce between 0 and 90. I didn't notice any thing unusual when it spiked.

Is this more along the lines you were looking for? I also noticed that, with IE and Firefox, the longer the programs were on and running, the more memory they would use. Is this the concept of memory leaking?

thanks
drunkle

Edited by drunkle, 13 November 2007 - 07:09 PM.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:06 AM

Hi drunkle,

No need to apologise.

I must admit I'm at a loss here. The CPU jumping up to 90% for a moment or two and then coming back down is pretty normal. For example, on my machine here at the office, when I open a new web page in IE7 the CPU will jump over 90% for a few seconds and then go back down.

Did you run memtest?

Check in the Device Manager for any problems. Right–click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager. Check for any red "X" or yellow "!" symbols next to any of your devices.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

Budapest, this is just as confusing for me!

I ran memtest last night as I went to bed. This morning it did three passes and all came up clean, no errors. In the device manager, all comes up clean. There aren't any '!' or 'X'. The event viewer still has Dhcp errors that show up every once in a while, but other than that I can't see anything of importance (not that I would necessarily know, but google hasn't produced anything indicating I should be worried yet). Too bad to. I was hoping that it would be the memory, just have a concrete explination. But as I always say, you learn more from failing than succeeding right away. So onward I march...

Is there some other sort of software issue that might be making something unstable? Should I just reformat C:\, fresh install XP Pro and start from scratch? As mentioned eariler I don't have much worry for loosing data as the only items of importance are my school papers and the appropriate research that accompanies. I would like do this as a last resort, for obvious reasons! Could it be an unstable driver of some sort? Also, I noticed that my current version of BIOS may be out of date. Is this worth looking at?

drunkle

#14 upperlevel

upperlevel

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

Mabey use a program like xp tools or something that controls memory usage

#15 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

XP Tools huh? Can't say that I've heard of it. Google, here we come..... :thumbsup:

drunkle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users