Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Booting To Xp Pro From Dell Pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Baylynx

Baylynx

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

During a restart or cold boot, my Dimension 4100 pauses during the initial BIOS POST. The screen displays some BIOS information along with a list of my system devices. The last message at the bottom of the screen, says to hit the Delete key to continue. The Delete key takes me to the Windows XP screen and from that point on, everything appears normal.

Background Information: Around the same time, I discovered I was unable to do a System Restore. I would get a message from Windows saying “Restoration Incomplete – no changes have been made to your computer” and instructing me to choose another restore point, restart system and restore. After many failed attempts, I located some help tips on this site and eventually I was able to perform a successful System Restore in Safe Mode.

While the System Restore issue seems resolved, I wonder if the two problems are at all related. In any event, I would like to get things working properly and have Windows come up automatically without a Delete Key intervention.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Not to familiar with that Dell model, I have a 4500, but are there diagnostic lights located in the back of the computer and if so post the color sequence of the lights from a cold boot.
X

#3 Baylynx

Baylynx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

The color code of the diagnostic LEDs is:

A=Yellow
B=Green
C=Yellow
D=Yellow

During the boot cycle the system halts and displays the following:

Copyright 1996-2000 Intel Corporation

EA81510A.10A.0025.P07.0009220959

Dell Dimension 4100
BIOS Version A05
Intel ® Pentium ® III processor, 866 MHz
512 MB PC133 System RAM

Legacy Keyboard......Detected
Legacy Mouse...........Detected
USB Legacy..............Enabled

Fixed Disk 0: Maxtor STM3802110A
(UDMA=100MHz)
Fixed Disk 1: Maxtor 5T060H6
(UDMA=100MHz)
ATAPI CD-ROM _NEC DV-5700A
ATAPI CD-ROM SONY CD-RW CRX140E

Press <Del> to Resume

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:16 AM

I suspect that there's a "Pause on..." setting in the BIOS that is causing this. I've seen it most often when the floppy drive is enabled in the BIOS - but the computer doesn't have a floppy drive installed.

So, the BIOS sees this as an error, and another setting (the "Pause on error" one) causes the system to stop until you recognize it by pressing "Del"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

Here's a link to the diagnostic lights for your model Dell-
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...iagnostic_codes
One of the techies here can help you determine if this is relavent to the problem your having or not.
X

#6 DellCA

DellCA

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:27 AM

I did some checking, and the diagnostic LED code you list (amber, green, amber, amber) is an indication that it is running tests on the PCI bus. If the system is hanging at that point then something during PCI bus initialization is failing (PCI card, or motherboard). I would recommend pulling all PCI cards and checking to see if the problem goes away. If you are using a PCI video card in your system, try using a different (known good) card. If the problem goes away when the PCI cards are removed then most likely one of them is the problem. Since you are still getting a picture, I don't think it is the video card, but you might want to test with a different one anyway, just to be sure.

If you have other questions about the system, or troubleshooting the problem, I will be more than happy to help in any way I can.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

#7 upperlevel

upperlevel

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:08 PM

Mabey there was no changes between your restore point and now, so it can't make any. Well so let me get this straight... you fixed your problem or do you still have it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users