Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just bought a new computer . . .

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bdonkersgoed

bdonkersgoed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:13 PM

Hello Everyone :thumbsup:

I just purchased a new computer for my Mom, who wants to get into video editing. She wants to take all of her old home videos on VHS and convert them to DVD, while doing some editing along the way.

Here is what I ended up purchasing for her:

- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor - Socket 939 (90nm)
- ASUS A8V Deluxe Motherboard
- ATI Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder Pro 128MB
- 2 x 512MB OCZ DDR400 PC-3200 Premier Dual Channel Memory
- X-Dreamer II Case with 350W Power Supply
- Windows XP Home SP2
- Viewsonic VP171b-2 (Professional Series, 8ms response rate)

What do you guys think of this setup? Would you have changed anything if you were buying this computer? My brother will likely be using it for games as well (Quake 3).

The custom computer builder that I bought it off of is very reputable in my area. He said the following of the computer:

"Every system we build is stress tested for CPU and GPU operations. We used 3dmark2001, and the max reached FPS was 402. On average however machine does 250 frames/sec. That is due to very high 2000 FSB on that CPU and a still powerful ATI 9800PRO GPU. Keep in mind that when latest games like doom3 or Half Life 2 are used, that frame rate will average about 160fps. So no mater what game you put on this machine, it will be silky smooth as your eye can only see 60 frames/sec."

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryan

Edited by bdonkersgoed, 17 February 2005 - 02:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:31 PM

I think the parts are great. THe 9800 pro, though its not the latest and greatest, is still a great performing card (what i have). The rest is great as well. I think you did well on this and quake 3 should run fine on it.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:41 PM

Looks great I just built one with a AMD 64 3200 CPU and a ATI 9200Se 128mb card!

How do you like the AMD 64? I know you can not test teh 64bit out yet or can you? If you want I found this program if you want to test out the pc in 64bit.
Check out this beta program if you like:
http://www.panoramafactory.com/pfactory64.html

I will when my new pc's modem works...Cows sighs cant test out the new pc without a modem.

I hope you will enjoy your new pc!

Welcome to BC! Enjoy your stay!

#4 bdonkersgoed

bdonkersgoed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the responses guys :cool:

I haven't had a chance to test out the computer yet, because I just received it yesterday. I went home for the night, and brought my Mom's comptuer and set it up for her. I basically set it up and then I had to leave :flowers:

The Viewsonic VP171b-2 17" LCD really amazed me. I had never actually physically seen one before I pulled it out of the box. The picture quality is superbe, and played a DVD VERY VERY nicely. There was no ghosting at all! Also, the stand that it comes with is incredible! The height adjustment must be couterbalances or something, because it is effortless to position the monitor vertically. You can also pivot the monitor so that it is vertical instead of horzontal (not sure how to properly describe that). Very impressive monitor!

I also liked the X-Dreamer II case. I really wanted the CoolerMaster Cavalier I, but the X-Dreamer II was much cheaper. Those 6 LEDs on the front of the case are MUCH too bright though :trumpet: The computer tower is located on a shelf above the monitor, and the bottom two LEDs shine right into your eyes and blind you :thumbsup: The other LEDs are at eye level when standing, and they blind you as well :inlove: Not a huge problem though . . . I guess we will just have to cover them up a bit.

I will let you guys know how the computer performs once I have a chance to play around with it.

Thanks again!
Bryan

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:10 PM

I certainly hope you installed an Anti-virus and a firewall on the computer before you handed it over to her. If not, be sure to do this at once. Even the best computer will not be able to withstand the malware on the NET if it is not completely protected.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users