Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looks Like A Fan Grill

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

I am of the thought there are two fans in my CP-4300US, the one I have a question about is the one on the edge of the MB, and it is mounted on top of waht looks like a fan grill that is designed to absorb heat. This computer is down as I could not get it to power up, and believe that it is a switch failure or power failure.

My question is as I was removing the HD, I thought to try to move the fan out of the way and discovered a really clogged up heat dissapater if that is what it is, it was really dirty.

I did not see this before even though I used a vacumn to free the fan of big time dust.

Could this have caused the computer to go down.

When it did there were a series of crashes etc. and blinks near the start button, then it just would not lite up at all.

The fan was still working and I did not get any heat warnings >

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

Sounds like your saying, the heatsink was clogged up, which would lead to overheating, and cause shutdowns, and erratic behavior.
Try blowing it out with some canned compressed air.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

After following TG1911's suggestions. To find out what happened I would start with checking the power supply you can use a tester purchased online or a Voltmeter using This chart as a reference. Ground the green wire and any black wire to trigger the power supply to turn on and test the each of the power wires they should read the same as the chart. If the power supply works its on to the Case switch and the MB. Post back your results and we can go from there.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:25 PM

rule of thumb once this is up and running you compressed air and hold the case at an angle so that the dust will fall out of the case, vacuum's tend to have some static electric buildup and it can be sent into the PC (bad).

#5 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

make sure you hold the fans when you are compressed-airing out your case

its good fun compressed-airing fans, watching them spin at like 30,000+rpm then exploding! fins everywhere

goodluck
=)

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

Hey thanks alot for the good advice, I will take it to heart, . .unfortunately all I can do is hope that I haven't set some kind of static into motion because I did use a shop vac, and that fan was going so fast I was having a good time watching it spin, sorry about that !, Oh well, I'll get a tester and find out for what's what, and be glad to let you know. Post bac later.
Thanks again !

Edited by Jove, 07 November 2007 - 09:03 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

After following TG1911's suggestions. To find out what happened I would start with checking the power supply you can use a tester purchased online or a Voltmeter using This chart as a reference. Ground the green wire and any black wire to trigger the power supply to turn on and test the each of the power wires they should read the same as the chart. If the power supply works its on to the Case switch and the MB. Post back your results and we can go from there.

I just bought one of these Thermaltake A2358 Dr. Power Tester, So before I go any further, there aren't any instructions, Would you mid giving me some, how to use tips, I must admit this is new to me, and I don't know what to connect or disconnect, or what goes where.

I am adding some images of the device, for your reference;

DR Power Input Cable
Posted Image

DR Power Input Sockets
Posted Image

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:52 PM

Plug whatever plug you want to test to the matching receptacle and turn on the power supply and see what lights turns on
Mark
From their website:
"Green LEDs and beeps allows user to know testing result. If the power output is working, the LED will light and you will hear a sound, if the power output fails, you won't see the LED light & no sound"

Edited by garmanma, 08 November 2007 - 02:56 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

Can I do this with my hard drive disconnected and out of the computer ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:00 PM

First of all, there are two cables that plug into the MB from the on-off switch,
(correction), one goes from switch the other is from USB ports

there is no place on this device to plug it in ?

If the switch is bad how will this detect power ?

I found P4, an un used connector.

Ref. Instructions;
Please plug 20Pins/24Pins connector to power tester in order to activate power supply testing.

Where do I find this 20/24 P-connector in order to plug it in to tester ?

Edited by Jove, 08 November 2007 - 03:42 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

Where do I find this 20/24 P-connector in order to plug it in to tester ?

On the motherboard
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:44 PM

There are 2 ribbon cables on the MB, 1 goes to the CD-ROM, the other goes to the Floppy Driver.

Any special one to plug into the tester ?

Oh, .. and which or what do I un-plug, from MB or other end, sorry I'm so not knowing here .

Jove

Edited by Jove, 08 November 2007 - 03:47 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:01 PM

I believe I found the right set of wires, please wait I'll be back .

I have plugged the 20Pins from the MB into the tester I have a green light indicator ;
+5V SB, I have tried the on off switch ; nothing happens ?

Is there a way to find out if the switch is good or bad ?

P4 from (I believe the Main I/O Unit), provides no indication.

P5, from Power Unit to CD ROM Drive ; no indication

I have plugged an external zip drive into the USB port and it indicated no power.

Anybody have any idea of what I'm doing, because I don't !

Edited by Jove, 08 November 2007 - 05:25 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

Computer help: Troubleshooting power supply and on/off switch

I hope that this is not a violation of Copyrights, I've used ref. and quotation marks.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.htm...ssageID=1473041

" There is no easy way to ''test'' which item is failed without taking it apart. Generally speaking, power supplies are frequent culprits, so you can often get ahead of the curve by getting a new one from your local shop/ BustBuy/ ChumpUSA/ or whatever. If, a few steps farther down the troubleshooting path, you find you don't need it because the problem is found to be something else, you can probably return it for your money back. But having it on hand when you open up your system will save you running out in the middle of the job to get the part that we could have told you in advance is 90% likely to be needed. So for the rest of my reply let's just assume you now have a new one.

The power switch on the front of the case is just a momentary contact switch. The motherboard always has a little bit of power, and pushing the contact switch simply completes a circuit between two little prongs on the motherboard that signals the power supply to start supplying full juice to the system. When you open the case and trace the wires from the backside of the on/off switch down to the motherboard, you can pull the those two wires off the motherboard and touch the two prongs with a small screw driver (be careful poking around - touch only the two prongs that were underneath the wires from the switch). The system should come to life. If so, then the switch is bad, it's not making the momentary contact to complete the circuit as it should. Replacing it will be a chore as there are tons of styles and sizes to choose from. But I doubt the switch went bad, so reconnect the wires to the prongs on the motherboard."

I have tried the screw driver contact and nothing happened.

Question, If the computer turned off from, clogged fan and heat sink, what will turn it back on ?

Also, original question can I test the power unit without the hard drive in, when does the power unit fan start to spin ?

I am not so sure the screw driver test can reveal this when the socket has the (2) LED lights, if they all work in unison to make the circuit then you would have to make contact with (6) contact pins, but I really don't know ?

Anybody out there ?

Edited by Jove, 08 November 2007 - 06:49 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:05 PM

"Question, If the computer turned off from, clogged fan and heat sink, what will turn it back on ? "
Yes, it should run until it gets too hot then shut down again
"Also, original question can I test the power unit without the hard drive in, when does the power unit fan start to spin ? "
Yes you can test the power supply without the hard drive connected
The power supply fan should turn on the minute the computer is switched on.
You short out the 2 pins that the momentary on/off switch goes to. If your computer has the combination plug for all the front panel connections, you can remove it for test purposes and just short the 2 switch pins
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users