Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing log on name ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dahoe

Dahoe

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:07 PM

Can anyone help me to change the default log on user name from Administrator to a user of my choice??

Any help is much appreciated....

using Win2000 by the way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hi Dahoe, :thumbsup: to BC

Changing the default administrator account name may not be such a good idea because some programs may depend on finding that account named as administrator and changing it may disable them. For more information, look here: http://searchwinsystems.techtarget.com/tip...1040230,00.html

Your best bet would to create a strong password for this account, one with upper and lower case letters, numbers and special symbols.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:55 PM

Hey there Ronbo,

cheers for replying. I don't actually want to change the Administrator a/c name i just want a different user name to appear in the log on screen, this different user actually exists it's just that i have to erase the word Administrator and type in the other user name each time i boot up.

I'm sure it's something simple but i just can't think of it at the moment....

#4 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:33 AM

Got it....

Double-click the System icon in Control Panel and choose the Network Identification tab.
Click Network ID and follow the instructions on screen and set to "Windows always asumes the following user has logged on to this computer", select your User Name from the drop down list, enter your password, click next and finish. You will have to restart your pc.
Upon start up you will notice there is no log on screen.
Double-click the Users and Passwords icon in Control Panel and tick the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." box, click OK.
Now the next time you restart your pc the User Name you selected earlier will appear in your log on screen..... :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users