Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wuaclt.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sean kingdon

Sean kingdon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hi all,

Have a problem with my computer where a message ' wuauclt.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close...' comes up about once a minute.

Which is 1 very annoying and 2 slows my computer down alot. I currently have 16 messages sitting there that i havent been botherd to close each using up about 4950kb!

I know this is something to do with windows updates but dont know how to get rid of it.

I have tried turning off automatic updates didnt work.

Not sure if its linked but svchost.exe kept on running at about 98% of the cpu few weeks back but see,s to have corrected itself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You've come to the right place, we take care of these problems all the time.

This is one of the Ugly ones....

One piece of advice before I forward you to the HJT forum....

Disconnect that computer from the internet immediately. The second it reconnects, the trojan will simply repair itself.

Please follow ALL instructions on this page. Not doing so will only impair our ability to help you.

Edited by WlkingMan, 07 November 2007 - 02:56 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,563 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

wuauclt.exe is Windows Automatic Updates application which checks the Microsoft Windows Update website for updates to be installed.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. The legit wuauclt.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32, C:\Windows\Prefetch, C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles and C:\I386, folders. If found running from a different location it is probably malware.

You can download and use Process Explorer or Glarysoft Process Manager to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

High CPU utilization complaints involving SVCHOST.EXE are common complaints with various causes and solutions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

Please re-visit the page and follow ALL instructions...

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:01 PM

Sean kingdon,
I've removed you HJT log, as this is not the proper forum for it.
If you feel you need to post a log, please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may remain on your system.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users