Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Take Freecom Hdd Apart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

Hey,

I have a External Freecom HDD and I would like to take it apart to add a new HDD inside it.
Is this possible? If so, How??

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

What is the specific model you have?

For the most part you should be able to open the screws to determine what type of hard drive you need and then swap it out. You will probably void the warranty, and if there are any special shock absorbers or circuity that may be a problem.

May be easier, and not really that much more money, to buy yourself an external enclosure that you can put any type of sata/ide drive in you want.

#3 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:57 AM

I have a Freecom 160Gb External HDD 3.5". Here is the web link but they don't sell the one that I have now: http://www.freecom.com/productsubs.asp?Cat...146263&s=ja its at the top.

Thanks

deanpcmad

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

My guess, is you should be able to just open it up and swap the drives. Would prob need to buy 2.5" drives (laptop drives) for it.

For the price of enclosures, though, you would be better off just buying a new one for your new hard drive and not worrying about it.

You can see a list here.

#5 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

I have tried to take it apart as there is a screw underneath, but when I undo it and I try to pull/push it out nothing happens!

How do I open it up properly? Are there any tutorials online that walk you through how to do it?

Thanks

deanpcmad

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

Unfortunately, I cant help you there. I doubt you will find anything on how to open these as well as they are too specific.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users