Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 goku65

goku65

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:00 AM

I recently bought a desktop and have been without desktops for a while. I have an nvidia 8500 gt card in there and it seems to have trouble with running some games WOW command and conquer.

I would like to get the frame rate up ad take part of a new game CRYSIS. My comp specs are as follows quad core 2.4 ghz cpu 3 gig ram, 1 terrabyte of hd space, and the 8500 gt which card would allow me to run pretty much anything i wanted. without having to do allot of case work.

i know i will need to upgrade the power supply so if you have any suggestions feel free to input i can run wow at 40 fps with everything on and 8x oversampling at 1680/980 something like that resolution.

would like everything to be at 60 fps. My comp does not support sli. was looking at the 8800 gt are they worth the hype? feel free to comment. any help would be appreciated as i ve been gaming on labtops and that limited would like to play bioshock with the computer. PLease help links to the product will help. also i have 3 gigs of ram my computer is a gateway gm5632e if interested in knowing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

well as per the crysis website you should be fine "NVIDIA 7800 Series, ATI Radeon 1800 Series or better" is needed for crysis. what OS are you running? latest motherboard, video card drivers? latest bios?

Edited by Robert Isbell, 07 November 2007 - 10:40 AM.

#3 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

i dont know what motherboard i have a gateway gm5632e its running vista 32 bit with the most recent bios. and the most recent 8500 gt drivers. it has a pci e *16 for the slot.

#4 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:56 PM

will this card run it i can get it cheaper with my friends discount

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...8#productdetail

#5 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

well, the number you gave does not come up at gateway, here's a link for finding the serial number.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MISC/CustIDSe...arningsu4.shtml

#6 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

well, the number you gave does not come up at gateway, here's a link for finding the serial number.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MISC/CustIDSe...arningsu4.shtml

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014739R/1014739Rsp2.shtml heres the link to the specifics can you make some sense of it for me thanks in advance

#7 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

okay, what size monitor do you have? I would 1st do all necessary driver updates for the current video card, motherboard, and processor, then do any BIOS updates. have you tried running the demo of crysis before assuming the latest and greatest card is the fix? I ran stalker on a card they recommended and had the graphice balanced and the game ran smooth and had very amazing visuals, so I would say work with the card before assuming the best is the only way, and unless you have a 22-24" lcd/plasma monitor, trying to have every bloody setting on high in my 25 year opinion is a waste.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 07 November 2007 - 01:13 PM.

#8 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

i havei a new lg a 22 inch lcd monitor with 1680x something resolution.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

Its good to have the screen resolution set to your monitors native resolution. I was playing the Crysis demo with my ATI X1900GT (It's better then an 8500Gt, not trying to brag by the way). I played it on my 15 inch lcd screen, 1024X768 resolution, and most graphic settings on medium except shaders, shadows, water, and something else on low. I was getting about 40-50FPs just walking around in the jungle. Once I got into big battles though , way out in the open it would drop to like 15-20FPS.

The recommended for that game to play it on all high settings is an 8800GTS, about 280$ graphics card. I don't think an 8500Gt will play Crysis very well especially on a bigger screen. You could try the demo out though, on nzone.com

Edited by Sterling14, 07 November 2007 - 06:58 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#10 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

yes the bottleneck is your vid card and yes the 8800gt's are very sexy

"well as per the crysis website you should be fine"

uumm....not exactly..

crysis's system requirements are ridiculous (read any review), just cause what it says on the box doesnt mean u will be getting 60fps. u need a pretty good vidcard to run it at medium settings...

pretty much what sterling14 said in other words :thumbsup:

goodluck
=)

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

from what I have read to get 60fps with maxed out settings in crysis you'll need the next generation card with dual 8800GT's and then sli 2 of them

pipe dreams
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

meh - sli is over-rated (at the moment).

but yeah ur right in saying that (dual cards etc).

ill get the demo and run it tonight and post how my system goes (look at my profile for my system specs!!)
=)

#13 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

I still say if you balance the graphics out and not get stupid thinking everything has to be on high, a 8500 should be capable. the quote is from the crysis website for recommended video cards, and not the minimum. I ran Far Cry with a mid range between the minimum and recommended and the graphics were all balanced out with gameplay and I still say it played better than the recommended. his card is above the recommended specs and if he thinks rationally about gameplay and grpahics he should be able to play it just fine.

#14 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:46 AM

i dont think everything has to be on high.

read the first sentence in the 2nd & last paragraph in the original post.

"I would like to get the frame rate up ad take part of a new game CRYSIS."

"would like everything to be at 60 fps."

even at low-mid settings, the chance of 60fps in crysis is...questionable(with a 8500gt).
=)

#15 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

i dont think everything has to be on high.

read the first sentence in the 2nd & last paragraph in the original post.

"I would like to get the frame rate up ad take part of a new game CRYSIS."

"would like everything to be at 60 fps."

even at low-mid settings, the chance of 60fps in crysis is...questionable(with a 8500gt).

ill download the demo. im just concerned cause my comp has a hard time playing command and conquer 3 thats my concern. on medium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users