Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped Laptop.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jimshady

jimshady

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

Hi All.

I dropped my Toshiba Sattelite laptop and it won't start up now. The blue light aroud the start button lights up, but the screen stays black. If I take it to a shop, I imagine they will send it back to Toshiba - which will takes weeks or months and hundreds of Euros. Some years ago I put a tower PC together, but I've never been inside a laptop. I'm hoping that the problem is a component has come loose. Can anyone offer advice as to should I open it up myself, and what to wiggle and jiggle if I do?

Please help! Cheers.

jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

It may be that the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the base has come lose.
If your lucky, it may be possible to reconnect it, but it might have torn.

I'm no expert on the inside of laptops either, but that would be my best guess.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 jimshady

jimshady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:16 AM

Aha. Do I need to open the thing up? Do you know how I can check this connection?

Cheers, mate.

jim

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

"Do I need to open it up?"
If it's out of warranty, then it's the only way I can think of to check
If it's in warranty, don't open the case, as it will void your warranty.

"Do you know how I can check this connection?"

Not really, only by looking to see if it's loose\ripped\disconnected.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:51 PM

Was it plugged in at the time. You may have only broken the connection base inside. solderable with the skill. Yes you do have to open it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 jimshady

jimshady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the tip. No - it was not plugged in and was turned off at the time. How do I identify the connection base?

Cheers,

jim

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

Look here for the diagrams you need
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

which model of toshiba? have you tried connecting the laptop to a mnitor to see if it outputs to it?

#9 jimshady

jimshady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

The first thing I shall try is connecting the SA60 to an external monitor, and then follow the excellent link provided to take the bugger apart.

Thanks, fellas.

jim

#10 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

I doubt disassembly will fix the issue.

#11 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:38 PM

yeah if you are going to open the notebook, just remember which screws go where

its a complete maze opening those things! as you said, yeah if you drop it into a pc shop it will be 2hrs minimum in labour so....might be worth it to send it to toshiba yourself (if its still under warrenty that is)

goodluck
=)

#12 jimshady

jimshady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:27 AM

Sadly no longer under warantee. What I'm hoping is as folllows - I plug the thing into an external monitor and it works, I open it up, find the cable to the screen is loose and wiggle it back into possition. Turn it back on and - hey presto - it works.

Is this pure fantasy or a reasonable approach until I find out the problem is more serious?

Thanks guys.

jim

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

Off warranty ,I'd open her up. Nothing to lose. Take a look for the obvious loose connections, shifted part or even something broken. do you have anything to lose at this point.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

If it's something like a backlight, there's always eBay. I've gotten quite a few laptop parts from there
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

I took in a Toshiba laptop not long ago that a lady dropped from 2 feet up onto soft grass (it was turned off) - the service center charged almost $800 to replace the motherboard (she had a warranty).

OTOH - I dropped my Toshiba laptop 3 feet onto a hardwood floor the day before yesterday (while it was on) and it's still running like a champ!

First open up the "hatches" on the bottom and check to ensure that the hard drive, the memory, and the wireless card (if applicable) is plugged in tightly (remove all power and the battery before opening it and ground yourself on the metal in the case before touching anything).

If that doesn't fix it, then it's pretty easy to remove the bottom and check any connections that you can find. Use garmanma's link for instructions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users