Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking Nvram

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spacedye

spacedye

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:46 AM

hi, 1st post.
the problem is i turned my computer on and it started and it got to a point where it said "checking NVRAM" and now it wont go past that point. i cant do anything after that. power down goes to standbye and pulling the power cord ends up with the same thing after i plug it back in.
any suggestions?
it is a hp pavilion media center PC.
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

This happened to a mate of mine. What he did was buy a new battery for the computer.
You can't use like a 9 volt or flashlight battery, you need a special computer battery.
X

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

No error message?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Have an XP CD?

Louis

#4 spacedye

spacedye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

thanks for the responses. i cant do anything. cant get into bios. it is stuck. i push power and i get the screen saying press f1 for setup etc. etc. but it is passed that point and it is stuck on the checking NVRAM with 2 dots after that line as if it is doing something. the hd led is lit as if it is doing something also. left it on for 24hours yesterday. stayed on same screen the whole time.
but now about the battery. thanks for that. i didnt even think about pulling that battery to reset bios. good idea. ill give that a shot. thanks. ill let you know what happens.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

....XP CD?

Louis

#6 spacedye

spacedye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:39 AM

took battery out and put it back in. got stuck in same spot. i have an older winxp cd. with the pavilion, i had to create my own rescue disks, but i do have access to a winxp cd. why? what should i do with that?
thx.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

Only because...the XP CD contains most of the tools available to a user to attempt to troubleshoot or fix problems which pop up. Those are in something that Microsoft calls the Recovery Console.

The XP CD is also necessary if a user wants to check for damaged/missing system files which can create problems.

It also comes in handy when a user has to do a repair install or a clean install of XP because something went wrong with the initial install.

Other than that, any user has absolutely no use for an XP install CD.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users