Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viruses & Trojans

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mschroe919

mschroe919

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:07 AM

Hi all
I get asked this question all the time. Why should a PC get infected if has all...AV. Firewall., spywaare blaster a lot. I tell them it is because they don't run them enough and updating and upgrading. Please someone give me their take on this.
Thanks

Moved from the XP Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 07 November 2007 - 07:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:51 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:54 AM

I would venture to suggest that a large majority of infections are the result of "user error." Far too many people, for example, download and install all sorts of files without taking the time to do a simple research on Google, or blithely open E-mail attachments just because it seemingly comes from a legitimate source. Far too many people, also, have an AV, but do not keep its definitions current nor do they remember to turn it on before entering the WWW.
A well-informed not to mention cautious user is the best defence.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof

I'd probably say:

No products are 100 % foolproof

Or do you mean that more products will make your computer 100 % secure?

I know that the more programs you've installed on the computer, the more secure against viruses and trojans, but you ain't 100 %, are you?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

The more protection you have, the greater is the detection rate of different types of malware. However, you can overkill your system with resource heavy security programs that will drain your resources and slow down performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combo for your particular system as there is no universal solution that works for everyone.

A well-informed not to mention cautious user is the best defence.

There is no substitute for what jgweed said, no matter what you use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users