Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems: Primary Hard Drive Disk Not Found

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eratos2000

eratos2000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:12 AM

I have a friend of mine that was working on his desktop computer doing some research. I don't have all the details of what he did that day. The next day when he tried to start his computer he got an error message like "Primary Hard Drive disk 0", "Press F1 to retry boot or F2 to run setup" He brought his computer to me to try to fix it. I was not able to repair the drive I try to connect the drive to other computers to no avail. So I concluded it was a faulty hard drive so I decided to buy a new drive, I setup the drive, installed all the software he needed and all is good.

Today I received a called from him telling me he was working on a different computer (laptop) checking emails (gmail) and doing some work stuff.. He shutdown his computer and forgot that he needed to check some other emails. When he tried to start the computer he got the same error message as above.. At this point I'm just think these problems are getting cause by some king of virus/worms or the like.

Has anyone knows or have an idea of what could be the reason? Two different computers having the same problem, coincedence? Don't think so.. right?

Please any help or advise appreciated.

Nando

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

My experience when getting that first message...is that the option to go to Setup/BIOS occurs because Windows wants the user to check that the drive is properly recognized in the BIOS. So the first thing to check is all connections to/from the drive.

If the drive is recognized in the BIOS properly...and the boot options in the BIOS are correct...and it still won't boot, then the first suspect for me is the MBR.

If possible, I then run chkdsk /r on the drive from the Recovery Console. Just a prelim step, but one that I never fail to do.

If the disk still won't boot after chkdsk /r, I then go back to the RC and run the fixboot or fixmbr command. I'm partial to fixboot, since it includes fixmbr.

If the drive still cannot boot then I run a manufacturer's diagnostic on it and mentally prepare for a repair install or a clean install.

If the file system (NTFS or FAT32) happens to be screwed up, a clean install is the solution for me.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users