Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Wusb54gc Adapter Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 schizosid

schizosid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:38 PM

I have recently purchased the WUSB54GC wireless adapter from Linksys. After installing the software and connecting the adapter (then switching over to Windows Wireless Zero, since the Linksys monitor couldn't find the access point), it worked reasonably well for about a week. After a week's time, my internet disconnected and it has been sporadically reconnecting and disconnecting ever since. I've managed to forcibly connect to the wireless access point by repairing the connection, but this doesn't last for more than 5 minutes at a time (fewer than 2 minutes at the time of my post).

I'm running Windows XP with all of the latest updates. I have the latest driver for the adapter (there's only one available). I've already tried disabling security programs, reinstalling without the Linksys software (i.e. the driver only), using a USB extension cable to bring my adapter closer to the access point (right now it's about 5 feet away from the access point), using, variously, Network Magic (constantly disconnects), Wireless Zero (can't detect the network or constantly disconnects), and the original Linksys software (get a limited or no connectivity error) to connect to the internet. The adapter is functional, so I think I have a software problem, but I really have no idea what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

What kind of router do you use? Try to get the latest update from the manufactures website, and keep me informed.

#3 schizosid

schizosid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

I think that I'm connecting directly to the wireless access point.

As of yesterday, my connection doesn't last more than a minute anymore. Usually, 45 seconds or so.

#4 reneber

reneber

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:04 AM

schizosid,

I have the exact same problem. Chatted for hours with a linsys rep and they were not able to help. Installed with the disk, the downloaded driver, only the driver and not the software, tried system restore, etc etc. I have no solution but at best buy they will guarantee to get it working for $60. :S Let me know if someone knows the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users