Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Spywareblaster

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

Today when I checked for updates to SpywareBlaster, I noticed it said:
Mozilla/Firefox not installed. When I click here for more information it says: Mozilla/Firefox not detected.

WTH?? I'm writing this now using Firefox!...on my own user account?!

This is the 1st time I've noticed it as it was fine a couple of weeks ago. I did not install any new software but I did recently update to Firefox 2.0.0.9.

Sounds to me like it's a bug with Firefox. :thumbsup:

Anyone else notice this problem? Nothing recent on Google about this...yet.

I'm using Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.

Any thoughts....misery loves company! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

I haven't had exactly the same but find that when I manually update Spyware Blaster it takes about 15-20 seconds to ok the Firefox section. I have also put it down to first the 08 Firefox update and it is still the same since Firefox updated to 09.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

Are you using Spybot S&D?

This is caused by Spybot adding an inordinately large number of items to Firefox's hostperm.1 file.

The hang (which can take anywhere from a few seconds on up) will be fixed in the upcoming new version of SpywareBlaster (stay tuned!).

Best regards,

-Javacool

dslreports.com
wilderssecurity.com
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:45 AM

So that's what it is. Thanks for that Quietman7. I uninstalled SpyBot S&D 1.5 a few weeks back as it never ever found anything in comparison with AVG and SuperAntispyware, but it must have left remnants. Thinking about it, it is probably round about when I uninstalled Spybot this began to happen.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:44 AM

Your welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, but my problem is that SpywareBlaster does not detect Firefox at all. When you open it and it starts to enable protection, it says that Mozilla/Firefox is not installed....Click here for more information.

However, I will probably uninstall SpyBot as I think it's now an outdated product...a "has-been" so to speak. Version 1.5 is slower than 1.4 and the immunization feature is buggy (it doesn't easily immunize everything). I'll see if that helps.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

Before uninstalling Spybot, make sure TeaTimer is disabled, or it could cause problems with the uninstall.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

It's been a few months....but I'm coming back to this one.

I still have not been able to solve this issue. You see, Spywareblaster tells me that Firefox is not installed. The strange thing is that this only happens on my user account. All other user accounts can detect firefox without a problem. I am the Adminstrator and the other users are both Administrators and Standard users.

I tried the following to no avail:
- removed immunization from Spybot S&D, version 1.5 and uninstalled the program. Removed all remnants as well.
- removed protection from Spywareblaster, uninstalled and re-installed.
- removed Firefox 2.0.0.11 including profiles, and all files/folders from computer. I then installed an EARLIER version of Firefox, 2.0.0.9 (which was what I had before my problems started) and this did not work either.

Spywareblaster was fine for a while....I had the slight pause when immunizing Firefox, but I understand it's a bug with the program. Then one day, Spywareblaster stopped detecting Firefox being installed.....ONLY ON MY USER ACCOUNT.

I tried comparing registry settings under the HKCU hive for every user on the comp. I couldn't find any missing keys or bad enteries.

Googling this problem didn't really get me anywhere.

Anyone, with some thoughts into this mystery would be much appreciated..many thanks!

#9 topcat8

topcat8

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

Same thing happened to me. Spyblaster was working fine, then I switched from firefox to firefox portable and spyblaster wouldn't recgonize ff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users