Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Administration Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim82

Jim82

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:41 PM

I have three computers connected to a home network using a netgear router. I can see all computers from my computer. however, one of the computers denies me access and says "you do not have appropriate access rights for this server, contact network administrator. If I'm working at the computer that has denied me access from other computers, I cannot find the control panel icon on start menu but I can see the control panel from network places. When I try to access control panel or Set programs access and defaults icon/words the Restriction statement, "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer please contact system administrator" appears. I have never set up an administrator for this home network.

Any suggestions to eliminate this system admin control from the affected computer would greatly be appreciated. I'm completely confused as to why I cannot access the control panel feature or why the icon does not appear on the start menu.

Thanks

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

hi jim82!

are all 3 computers running xp????sounds like you have some funky group policy settings in place...

NOTE: you must be a administrator to perform the next function. if you dont have a admin account, then you can use something like UBCD to create one - www.ultimatebootcd.com

left click on start>run

type "secpol.msc"> now be careful in here, because this is where you can lock yourself out of some much-needed things

in the lefthand payne, expand "local policies", then left click on "securtiy options"

have a browse round there, and the other sections in "local policies" and "account policies"....

EDIT:another way to have acces (again, you need to know the details of a/the admin account) is to use cmd.

left click on start>run type "cmd" wihout quotes

type: net use \\computer\c$ /user:administrator password (/persistent:yes)

computer\c$ = computername, and share if u wish.
/user = a admin account
password = password for that account
persistent = if the connection is persistent

goodluck

Edited by 4ward_tristan, 06 November 2007 - 09:23 PM.

=)

#3 Jim82

Jim82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:12 PM

yes all three are XP. Actually after running a virus scan and removing viruses I am able to gain access to the control panel now. However, the following websites automatically start my webrowser on the same computer:

pcprivacytool.com and systemerrorfixer.com

How do eliminate these websites and keep them from automatically starting the Internet Explorer browser?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users