Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Repair

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeff Gedgaud

Jeff Gedgaud

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

I am having a problem with some codecs in Windows Vista and wanted to try a non destructive repair on the OS and Media Center.

I have some movies that will not play in Windows Media Center but do in other players. I got Media Center because I wanted all my entertainment from one place and I paid for the dumb thing it should work correctly. I also have a game that uses video for the introductions and I think it has something to do with missing codecs as well.

I tried your repair procedure for Windows Vista but my version does not have the repair option when i get to the one load screen. On your tutorial it shows a screen with Repair Windows in the lower left hand side but on my OEm Vista disc it does not go to this windows. I wanted to try to reinstall or repair Vista but also want to keep all my documents and such, I have a lot of games and other programs loaded and would hate to spend the next three days reloading it all.

Is there a way to repair windows Vista without reinstalling it other than what your repair tutorial says. I have tried to run SFC Scannow but it says it could not fix some files and when I try to open the CBS file to look at what it could not repair the file does not open.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium from an OEM company, Cyberpower.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

hmm

this post isnt going to be helpful at all lol :huh: sorry...

but i read, something on somewhere, about something to do with vista media centre not supporting certain codecs, or something lol

sorry for my horrible input for this question lol :huh: ill keep my eyes peeled though and hopefully post back with something =)

goodluck!

EDIT: for the game, if it is an intro movie, or like a explanation movie (the oens in TF2 for example?) then they shouldnt need the codecs, so that could be soemting else...

otherwise: try gspot - www.headbands.com/gspot/ to view the codec information on the video files in question. that will tell u what codec is required for the video to play, from there you can go and download the codec packs, or post back here and someone will link you!!!

Edited by 4ward_tristan, 06 November 2007 - 08:15 PM.

=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users