Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicated Software?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jongrohne

jongrohne

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

Hey there-
After becomming infected with IE Defender, I went on a security freak and downloaded tons of software.
Just wondering if I need all of what I downloaded or if I can get rid of some of these programs
I now have
Threatfire
AVG 7.5
Spybot 1.5
Spywaregaurd
Spywareblaster
Ad-Aware 2007.
Can I do away with any of these?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

hello and welcome.
Threat fire and AVG are antivirus programs. You need to make sure only one is running in realtime protectiom. In other words you may keep both but only one can be active at a time. They will conflict with each other.
Others may have a different opinion but I'd switch out Ad-Aware 2007, for SUPERAntiSpyware. The free home version. I would keep the others.
Remember to update weekly and before running a scan.

What firewall do you use.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jongrohne

jongrohne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

I am not sure really. If you mean something like Norton, I have that and Vista, but I think I might be revealing how ignorant I am here.
Thank you for responding and the help.
Jon

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:53 PM

Don't worry about that thats why we ask.
OK let's straughten out a few things.
There are AntiVirus and AntiSpyware programs they are separate applications,tho' some come in a package or suite.
In other words AV 's search for virus and trojans and the like. AS's search for spying products like Pop up causing spywares and bad cookies etc.. You need both types.

Norton,AVG and Threatfire are AV products. Only ONE should be running actively,Scanning and protecting the PC at all times. Two or more of these active will stare at each others (Virus file) database and get stuck staring. (I'm trying to put this simply so you'll see how they work).

Spybot 1.5, Spywareguard, Spywareblaster, Ad-Aware 2007, and SuperAS are Antispyware tools. They operate differently can all operate together and you shoul have several. You can actually use all if you've the space.

Now not to confuse you Norton and AVG Also come in suites. Usually an AV,AS and Firewall. You will need to tell us the Full product name. As it appears you are running 3 AV's. (Threatfire is an AV only) I've no experience with it but it looked OK.

By the way you should also only have one Firewall. Which one are you using?

Edited by boopme, 07 November 2007 - 09:54 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jongrohne

jongrohne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

Thank you for the response and apologize for the long absence.
I have disabled my Threatfire and uninstalled it as it looks like I have an AV with Symantec AntiVirus, 2006 Full edition 10.2.0276. I don't see anything else in the product name other than that......
I believe my only firewall is from Symantec, as a pop up appears asking me for permission to allow something to do something....
Thanks again

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

Hello again
I now have
Threatfire (removed).

AVG 7.5 and Symantec AntiVirus,
Is this the Free AVG? If not which are you using: AVG Internet Secutiry, Pro or AV +firewall.
Because this may be 2 AV's and firewalls running. You can keep the AV scanner as long as it is not active while Norton is,to run as an on Demand virus scan. Also the 2 (if that's the case) may conflict. So one needs to be turned off.
Now I see you have NAV 2006. Is this paid for? As if not it cannot be updated. Then you have a choice of Buying NAV again or running AVG full time.

Spybot 1.5 (Keep)
Spywaregaurd (Keep)
Spywareblaster(Keep)
Ad-Aware 2007. (Keep)

Edited by boopme, 01 December 2007 - 03:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users