Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Dual Boot Linux+windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

sorry that this post has no information in it, but i dont know how to boot linux+windows (off the top of my head this is, i did it....5 years ago with mandrake+xp, but i didnt even know what sata was back then so...)

pretty much, i dont know how to "request" a topic to be created here, so i created it myself hoping that someone with ALOT more knowledgeable can come and, well, take over :flowers:

so how do you succesfully dual-boot? should you install linux first then windows or vise versa? does it make a difference between xp & vista(installation-steps wise etc)? if you are going to use vista + <insert_distro_here>, do you use the linux bootloader or vistas one?

do you have to edit any config files to enable the bootloader to see each OS(and in which OS)? in re. to sharing files between the two: do you have to setup any partitions etc. so each os has a drive to share these files?

im sorry if this topic has already been posted etc. :thumbsup: i searched but didnt get much related. thanks :D
=)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hello,

By far the easiest way of instaling linux and windows on one machine i found was this handy tool

http://wubi-installer.org/

saves a lot of time and effort.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:00 PM

To make a dual boot system it is usually best to go with the instructions found in that particular distro's documentation, wiki, or forums. However here are the basics for many popular OS's.

Defragment you Hard Drive and then Backup your Hard Drive. Boot Install Cd and follow instructions. When you get to the section about creating partitions select the "Use Largest Free Space" selection. Make Sure GRUB is installed to the MBR and you should be set.

You always use the Linux boot loader (in most cases Grub but some still use LiLo). The Microsoft Bootloader will not recognize anything other than MS products. In most cases the Distro will pickup any info needed to boot Windows. All files on the Windows partition will be available for viewing on newer distros (those that contain the NTFS driver) or you can pick up that driver from the repos. As for Windows reading the Linux partitions you will need this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/106226/mounting-ext2-and-ext3-in-windows/.

Posted Image

#4 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

Just finished using wubi and now have windows and ubuntu on the same computer.
Have to fool around with a bit, but it was quite easy. Hope you guys that are having
trouble get it squared away.

EDIT: Works very well and very fast....Surfing etc. is as fast if not faster than the other
OS on this computer, WinXP Pro..
It does take a bit more than 15 gigs of harddrive space, but if you have it to spare, it's
a great way to put Ubuntu on your computer. On boot up, you have about 10 seconds
to decide which OS you want to use...and here I am, a novice at this sort of thing, and
I have two OS's on the same computer...I first saw this way to introduce Ubuntu to your
computer from the latest PC World magazine and then of course here with you guys.
Thanks and happy surfing... :thumbsup:

Edited by joe883, 05 June 2008 - 07:06 AM.

#5 Bugballou

Bugballou

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:24 AM

http://www.mypclinuxos.com/downloads/root/...ation_Guide.pdf
Have done what is suggested on page 22 of this pdf file with success. Used LILO as the nix bootloader. Didn't want to mess with Windows ntldr or use the recovery console if wanting to nix the nix. Trying PCLOS 2008 MiniME on another OS.

#6 shehab6003

shehab6003

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

i'm using both mint linux and windows xp and i did nothing to make them work together i just installed XP first then when after i installed linux i'm promoted tu choose the operating system everytime i run my computer

#7 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hey kids -- installing any Linux distro is like breathing -- if you can read you can't go wrong. I know, I'm an insensitive bastard, some of us can't read -- hitting enter is the next skill.

Seriously. If you need to dual boot (for whatever crazy reason), Windows goes on first, and like a previous poster posted -- it's pretty cake after that. Grub sees your installed stuff and adds them to the list. WIndows, too.

Just hit enter when the Grub prompt pops up - unless you KNOW you want something different.

Computers suck -- go outside for chrissakes.

#8 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

If you really want a dual-boot tutorial just ask.

#9 techman224

techman224

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

You can either use Wubi to use the space of your windows partition for Ubuntu, or you can partition the hard drive and boot from linux and install it. It should install the GRUB bootloader, which will make it possible to boot between Windows and Linux

Edited by techman224, 14 August 2008 - 07:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users