Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning with AVG in Safe Mode only?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:34 AM

During an earlier post, it was recommended that I do a once-a-month AVG scan in Safe Mode to make sure I'm clean. AVG is currently set to do a once/day scan at a specific time. Is this a bad idea (allowing it to auto-scan in regular mode)?
Last night I had trouble logging onto the 'net (dial-up)....the computer hung during two log-on attempts....then I noticed that AVG was auto-scanning at that moment. So I let it finish its job and then had to do a shutdown/restart to get on the 'net. Do you think this was related to the fact that AVG was scanning at the time a dial-up connection was attempted? And more importantly, should I simply do my own scans via Safe Mode and not allow AVG to auto-scan when in regular mode?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:45 AM

You raise several interesting points. Assuming your AV has done a thorough scan of your hard drive and found it clean, assuming you check daily for new definitions, and assuming you have your AV running at all times, then a daily scan of your computer is not really necessary.
Most people do scans periodically in safe mode, for the simple reason that some viruses like to esconce themselves in areas Windows protects while using them. Safe mode will prevent those application accesses, and hence unprotect the viruses.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users