Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Processor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:03 PM

I recently installed my new processor, the AMD 64 x2 6000+, and my motherboard doesn't know what it is. It knows it's running at 3.0GHz, has two cores, but Windows can't quite figure out the name.

CPU-Z finds the right information, but Windows doesn't know what to think.

I know the problem is a BIOS update (I have an MSI K9N Diamond motherboard), but does just a name change warrant going through the trouble of flashing and upgrading the BIOS? Just reading on how to do it, it's really scary, and I don't feel like bricking my motherboard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

I think so, but I'm checking the boards specs. give me a moment.

well i would if the bios and driver pages were not down, please bear with me.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 06 November 2007 - 05:08 PM.

#3 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

hm as long as you dont upload "backstreet boys - backstreets back.mp3" instead of "<correct_flash_file_here>.xxx", and as long as you dont have a blackout (assuming u dont have a ups) u should be right.

its generally pretty hard to brick a motherboard if u follow the instructions!!

goodluck
=)

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

I'm going to need the exact model of AMD I may have found a answer. if you purchased a retail packaged processor, let me know, it'll be easier.

#5 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:06 AM

hm as long as you dont upload "backstreet boys - backstreets back.mp3" instead of "<correct_flash_file_here>.xxx", and as long as you dont have a blackout (assuming u dont have a ups) u should be right.

its generally pretty hard to brick a motherboard if u follow the instructions!!

goodluck

The thing is that the instructions included with the zip file are written for an older version, and for working with Windows 2000. Not to mention the fail-factor is higher since I have to share my computer with the family :huh:

Robert, thank you so much for your help so far. I'll have to wait until morning to get the model number. I was told it was OEM, but prior knowledge tells me that OEM doesn't come with a heatsink / fan (tell me otherwise). I'll have an exact number for you as soon as I can get to it and run CPU-Z (again, family rules - can't use my desktop after 10pm :thumbsup: )

Basically, if all the update will do is change the name for my processor, then I can live with it until I upgrade again (whatever that upgrade may be). I don't overclock, so the updates listed on the MSI website don't apply much anyway.

#6 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:25 AM

the bios might address more than the processor being identified correctly. I have seen some OEM processors come with a heatsink and fan, what processor did you have in before?

do you have these drivers installed?

AMD AMDAway Driver

AMD Cool and Quiet Driver

#7 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:34 PM

I uploaded the html dump from CPU-Z here. I hope that's the information you need, Robert.

#8 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

there should be instructions on the msi website in regards to flashing your bios for that model motherboard, but generally:

you download a zip that contains both the new bios and a flash.exe (asrocks is asrflash.exe for eg.)

make a bootable floppy (format a:>make ms-dos boot disk)

copy contents of dl'ed zip onto floppy

boot off of floppy, type: flash.exe bios_update.xx

press enter, you are done! the only trhing u have to worry about is a blackout (unlikely) and yeah!

goodluck
=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users