Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Graphics Card To Get?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

My friend has a Dell Dimension E521, with

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
Memory: 3006MB RAM
Hard Drive: 159 GB Total
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
Power Supply: 305 Watt Dell power supply

I put more ram in it for him already, but he really needs a new graphics card for games. I'm wondering what would be good for him? I'm having problems deciding because his power supply is only 305 Watts (probably more, Dell underrates all of its power supplies, then again I wonder why... :thumbsup: ). I got an ATI Radeon x1900GT for my new build and I'm loving it! I thought this X1950GT would be great, but I don't know if his power supply is good enough. If its not, he doesn't want to spend the extra money for a good power supply too. So now I'm wondering what about getting an 8600GT? Would one of those work with a 305 watt power supply? What about an x2600XT? Thanks!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

you'll need to replace the PSU with a good 450-500 watt psu and as for graphics card, depends on what he is going to do 99% of the time with the computer.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:41 PM

Yea anything worth a hoot would need a REALLY good 350 watt power supply most will require bigger.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users