Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Besides The Hd, Where Else Can A Virus/worm Hide?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 7ser

7ser

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

Can the virus/worm hide on other parts of the HD, or other protected areas on the HD?

Besides the HD, where else can a virus/worm hide on a computer?

This is related to a system that has been disconneced from the web, formated, and still is infected.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

Malware can only be found on your hard drive.

The issue is either your data that you reinstalled (if any) contains an infection, or the infection survived the formatting. Sometimes a simple formatting is not enough.

You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 7ser

7ser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:31 PM

Thats a great program, I will try the killdisk. I have been researching and the BIOS seems vulnerable as well for a few viruses.

Are there any other possible places for the virus to hide. I have an HP with what looks like a factory setup partition of 8MB (DOS?) Could this be a source of infection as well?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

You are running multiple threads on the same subject. It is best to stick to one thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/115306/format-and-still-infected-please-help/
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users