Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant read Yahoo Mail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ARGONAUT

ARGONAUT

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:01 AM

Hello
I have developed a problem signing into Yahoo Mail. As usual it has always worked before but now it requires me to download a LOGIN?

Im using win 2000 prof v5 sp4 with all updates installed as of yesterday.

I visit the usual Yahoo Mail sign-in page and sign in as usual, a windon opens with the following info:

application/octet-stream
http://uk.f412.mail.yahoo.com/ym/

whether i try to open this or save it to disk does nothing.

Now if i back-up in the browser and click on any other Yahoo service, say PHOTOS, im already in and im recognised by my Yahoo ID. - its only the mail account i cant access.

If i click cancel LOGIN my Yahoo mail frontpage is displayed as a text dump, no formatting and no active links.

Heres where it gets weird, i asked a friend to open their old BT/Yahoo mail account on my machine and there is no problem and when they sign out, close it down and I try again with a fresh page, with my details I can Access my mail without a problem.

I have created a new Yahoo account on a different machine and I can access the new account without problem - for now.

EXCRUCIATING!!!
Any ideas?????
ps. I have cleared everything I could think of, cache, cookies, recycle bin, history and have cleaned with ad-aware, spybot, spyware guard, spyware blaster, cwshredder, spysubtract, hijackthis and win malicious code cleaner.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:23 PM

When did this start happening? Any new software installed?

#3 ARGONAUT

ARGONAUT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:08 PM

Started just before christmas - have installed 1 new music app - and updates to win, FF, antivirus,spyware..etc but did not coincide with either install or use, infact about a month clear before this prob, I guess its possible i collected it with the music app, not the most credible source.
just tried Housecall - Trend micro - and it listed 12 troj which were uncleanable
checked them out at Sophos.com and I think these are the puppies?!
TROJ AGENT .BQ , KT, KE, ALE, JO -
TROJ SMALL.ZK
TROJ HIDEPROC.B
(SOME LISTED IN C\WINNIT\SYSTEM32\...AND OTHER IN C\WINNIT\...)
i have deleted the entries above and rescanning right now

#4 ARGONAUT

ARGONAUT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:36 PM

Rescan said all clear but still I cannot access Yahoo mail - not much hair left to pull out?!!!!

Any thoughts Grinler? or anyone else

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 01:10 PM

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:42 PM

I moved your HJT log to the HJT forum for analysis. I've also created a referral
back to this original post.

Please be patient as a tech will get to you as soon as they can.

regards,
Koan

Your log is here > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic11743.html#
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users