Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Menus Freeze, Windows Problems, Not Virus Or Adware/spyware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shipwrecked77

shipwrecked77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:16 PM

Hey all.... I'm new to this forum, but I'm not new to computers or fixing problems, but I've come across one that I can't seem to figure out:

I'm running Windows XP Media Center on an HP Pavilion laptop. Basically, upon startup, the start menu, quicklaunch, and taskbar all freeze, and I can't use them... I can access the start menu using keyboard shortcuts, but only momentarily before it disappears. I am able to click things on the desktop, but once I open a program or window, whatever I have open de-selects itself, and I have use Alt+Tab to get it back.

This seems to be the most telling problem: whenever I open a window (IE, Firefox, or even a Windows window (my documents, etc.)), after a few seconds it automatically goes back to whatever previous screen I had open.... as if I hit the "Back" buton". So it let's me get nothing done.

All this still happens when in Safe Mode.

I've updated and run all sorts of programs, which makes me believe this might not be adware, spyware, malware or necessarily a virus or trojan.

I've run Norton Antivirus, Sybot, Adaware Pro, CWShredder, Windows Defender, AVG Spyware and AntiVirus, online Bitdefender. They've found a few minor problems (a little spyware and a minor virus or trojan), and fixed/deleted them, to the point where now when i run them they find no viruses or anything, but still the problems persist. I have all the recent Windows Updates, so I'm lost.

(Note: I know running the different antivirus programs can cause conflicts, so I haven't been running all these at the same time.)

Can anybody help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hi shipwrecked77 and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I hope you are not running both Norton and AVG at the same time, you should only run anti virus at a time otherwise you will start getting problems like false positives.

When you ran your scans did you run them in safe mode, if not try that as you have a better chance of catching problems there. It does sound like malware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shipwrecked77

shipwrecked77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hey dc3, no I didn't run both Antivirus prgrams at the same time. I onl used Norton, and then when nothing else worked, got rid of it and tried AVG instead.

Running almost all programs I listed in safe mode, but Norton will not run in safe mode (which although is odd, doesn't worry me too much, as Norton was actually the only program that did't find anything wrong when all others did).

The fact that the problems persist exactly in safe mode as they do in normal mode is what I don't understand... or know how to fix or even pinpoint.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

Perhaps it is time for a repair install of Windows. Theoretically, this will leave your programs and data alone, but back things up first to be extra cautious.

TRY A REPAIR INSTALL OF WINDOWS Insert Windows CD. Reboot computer. Allow the computer to boot to Windows CD. When prompted choose "Install Windows" at the first opportunity. Then at the second opportunity choose "REPAIR" (which is hitting the R key). Then let windows do a repair install. Theoretically this will not affect your data or programs, but I suggest making full backups first anyway, as backups are never a bad idea.

Also please note: Not all versions of Windows install Cd's have the option for a Repair install. Let us know if that is true in your case.

NOTE: Choosing 'R' at the first opportunity will give you the Recovery Console and this is NOT what you want. You want to choose 'R' at the second opportunity.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:41 PM

note: back your stuff up first *before* the repair install.....
=)

#6 shipwrecked77

shipwrecked77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

thanks for the suggestions.... i was going to actually try sfc /scannow, but was unable to that for the same reason this probably isn't going to work: i have no installation cd. for some reason, when i bought my HP from best buy, they assured me i wouldn't need one.

until this point, i've been able to work around problems without it, but this has left me pretty lost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users