Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Browser Is Being Redirected

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 captain vic

captain vic

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:50 AM

While surfing the internet or performing searches I will be redirected to a page that is promoting a product called SMARTFIXER. This is quite irritating and I don't know how to remove this hijacker.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

SmartFixer is a rogue security product. Many malware programs can be uninstalled by using Add/Remove Programs so check there. Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel and double-click on Add/Remove Programs. From within Add/Remove Programs uninstall questionable programs by highlighting them and selecting Remove. See BC's Uninstall Programs Database.

If they is no entry use Windows Search feature > More advanced options to locate and delete SmartFixer.exe.

To do this, go to Start -> Search and click For Files or Folders....
  • Click All files and folders.
  • Type in the name of the file under "Search by...criteria."
  • Click More advanced options and check these options:
    • "Search system folders"
    • "Search hidden files and folders"
    • "Search subfolders"
  • Then click "Search" to look for the file(s).
When found right-click the file, choose delete and empty your recycle bin. If you get an error when deleting a file, right-click on it and check to see if the read only attribute is checked. If it is, uncheck it and try again. If that does not work, then open Task Manager, look for and kill the process if running, then delete the file.

Then download AutoRuns
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to SmartFixer.exe.
  • Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer.
Next, download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.) Do not run a scan just yet
  • Reboot in "SAFE MODE using the F8 method and launch SUPERAntispyware.
  • In the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked to reboot, click "Yes".
  • If not, select Close to exit the program and reboot normally.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 captain vic

captain vic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:15 PM

Thank you for your time. Sorry for the delay, however I am using a different computer to communicate.

I performed each and every step as instructed. I got online to test the system and within five minutes of surfing the SMARTFIXER redirect was back. In addition, upon rebooting after SUPER Anti Spyware had finished, I received the following message:

Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c

Edited by captain vic, 07 November 2007 - 04:17 PM.

#4 halo32007

halo32007

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

Ouch, I hate it when this happens. I found a really great way to stop this...

SYSTEM RESTORE. Try and do a system restore created about a day or so before this redirecting happens. It should work, but only use this if other easier options won't work. This never fails for me, though.

#5 captain vic

captain vic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:41 PM

Thank you!

I used system restore which did get rid of the error message on boot up, however when I went online I still am experiencing the SMARTFIXER redirect.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

Disconnect from the net, search for and remove these files.
SmartFixer 2007.lnk
SmartFixer 2007.lnk
license.rtf
SmartFixer.exe
sysapp.exe
d_upd.exe
smartscanner.exe

#7 captain vic

captain vic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:51 PM

I used the WinXP search, searching MY COMPUTER and SYSTEM FOLDERS, HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS, as well as SUBFOLDERS. It turned up several license.rtf files, however none appeared to be related to SMARTFIXER, other than that nothing was found.

As soon as I went online, SMARTFIXER was back.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:02 PM

Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. If you can't perform a step, then skip and continue with the next. In step #9 there are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. (This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install HJT in the proper location.)

If HijackThis will not run, try renaming it. Open the HijackThis Folder, right-click on the HijackThis.exe file and rename it Scanner.exe. Double-click on Scanner.exe (which is still HijackThis) and then run your scan. If needed, change the .exe to something else such as .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr. Example: Scanner.bat or Scanner.com

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#9 captain vic

captain vic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

Thank you very much. I will do exactly that.

Again, thanks!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

Your welcome and good luck.