Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bugged In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MPosey87

MPosey87

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

Ok heres a good one for you. I have recently been affected what i have come to the conclusion to be as the rabbit virus. The one that spams pop up ads a vlaze ebay etc. Which has driven me absolutely bonkers for the past two days and has cause me to DL the roguesweeper, superantivirus, and avast antivirus programs to help clear up and to no avail. But, i digress. The real problem is when i tryed to boot up in safe mode after following your instructions on how to fix the lil rabbit virus. I ran the roguesweeper getting rid of any traces and then porceeded to boot uo in safe mode via msconfig bootui safemode process ( i cant press keys on my restart on my keyboard....no idea why there either). With my avast software it runs an automated boot up- scan and ATTEMPTS to fix any problems or errors. Well, it has caught a snag....and i can't seem to figure out what to do. It will begin the scan and get through the first part of the boot scan np, then it will get to about 5% on the second step and i recieve a message that says "inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 15361" and it repeats over and over and over and over again for an endless amount of time (im tlakign i let it try to run for 45 minutes). So i tryed to manually shut down viz power button and just deavtivate and try agian w.o avast activated...well no luck since i checked the bootsafe option via msconfig i cant boot up in regular mode and because the comp doesnt recognize my keyboard onreboot i cant hit "f8" or heck "enter" for that matter. So, what do i do? a response asap would be great! thanks all :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

Using MSConfig to access (force) safe mode can be problematic when there is malware on your system and can make your computer unusable. Some types of malware can delete or alter the safeboot key in the registry resulting in the inability to reboot into safe mode. If you use the /Safeboot option on the Boot.ini Tab to force safe mode when booting into safe mode when the F8 key does not work, it could have disastrous results. The Safeboot option modifies the Boot.ini file and you may be locked in a continuous reboot loop afterwards where you cannot get back to MSConfig and undo your selection.

Have you tried using System Restore from a command prompt in "SAFE MODE" to return to a previous state before your problems began?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MPosey87

MPosey87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:37 PM

there is no option to do anything at all i said when i reboot my computer goes into a continuous loop of trying to add tht $0 index to that file and never stops. Is there a way to unplug and replug the mother board or some kind of other hardware to force it to go back to normal mode boot up?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

"Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option"
"How to perform a Repair Install".
"How to install and use the Windows XP Recovery Console".

#5 MPosey87

MPosey87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

all of these options require me to have my xp cd, however i have moved about 5 times since i last bought my computer....and i have no idea where it is anymore. Would my best bet be to call my Dell provider and see if they can repair it or should i take it to a computer repair shop where im sure they have tons of spare software that they use to fix computer problems?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

If you could get into normal mode, there are tools we could try to repair safe mode. Without being able to access your machine, a repair or clean install is the next step but you need an XP CD.

You may not even have one. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific recovery disk or recovery partition for performing a clean factory restore. Essentially, they will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. You will lose all data and have to reinstall all programs that you added afterwards. This includes all security updates from Microsoft.

Check with Dell Support to see what options they have for your particular make/model pc.

You also may be able to use a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk to boot from a diskette instead of your hard drive. If you don't have an emergency boot floppy, you may be able to use one created on another PC running Windows XP but there's no guarantee that it will boot your machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users