Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Panda Active Scan 5.54.01 Online Check

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sdas57

sdas57

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

Hi. I was here trying to remove one of my PCs from IE Defender pop-ups and found this to be a great site :thumbsup:

I followed all the steps as mentioned in the forum on IE defender removal and seem to have removed it. After I found that the pop-ups and fake yahoo site message of my PC being infected did not appear.

Still to be doubly sure I went up to Panda Active Scan online (Free scanning of my PC). One of my PCs are not near me and someone else has scanned it for me based on my telephonic step by step instructions. I followed the same steps on my own PC at my end, so I am not sure what he has done but he tells me that when Active Scan ran it showed his PC detecting spyware and also disinfecting it at the same time. There are, as you know, two columns:One headed "Detected" the other headed "Disinfected". Now both of us had chosen "My Comouter" from the choices given. The other PC showed that 11 Spyware were detected and disinfected (all this while the active scan was running and was not even complete) whereas mine showed detected 18 but disinfected none even after the end of the scan. At the end of my scan it still showed disinfected as "0"

Question:-

1. Why is it that in my PC the disinfection was not carried out and on the other PC it was? [I am not able to see the other PC and the person there is not computer friendly so am not able to see what it detected at that end. But thought maybe someone can tell me as the site of Panda does not seem to say why it can be so.]

2. Does Panda Active Scan (free online scan) disinfect at all?

The report of my scan is as follows:- [All spyware are cookies and nothing else, maybe that is why it did not disinfect and has left it to me? If it were something else then maybe it would have disinfected?]

Incident Status Location

Adware:adware/cws Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Favorites\TECHNOLOGY
Adware:adware/aureate-radiate Not disinfected Windows Registry
Spyware:Cookie/2o7 Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\hk6u60pw.default\cookies.txt[.2o7.net/]
Spyware:Cookie/YieldManager Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Adrevolver Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@adrevolver[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Advertising Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@advertising[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Atlas DMT Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@atdmt[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Serving-sys Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@bs.serving-sys[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Casalemedia Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@casalemedia[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Ccbill Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@ccbill[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@com[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Doubleclick Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@doubleclick[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/QuestionMarket Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@questionmarket[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Searchportal Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@searchportal.information[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Server.iad.Liveperson Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@server.iad.liveperson[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Serving-sys Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@serving-sys[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/WebtrendsLive Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@statse.webtrendslive[2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/WebPower Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Shantanu Das\Cookies\shantanu das@webpower[1].txt

As you will notice from the site it does say it eliminates virus. Assuming it includes all sort of infections by the word "virus" I am not sure why it did not disinfect mine or give me a choice to do so through the program itself.

quote:
The site says:
What is Panda ActiveScan?

Panda ActiveScan is online antivirus, that works directly over the Internet. With a simple click from your browser you can scan all your files and e-mail for viruses.

Panda ActiveScan detects all type of malware and eliminates virus, trojans and worms. ActiveScan includes the information necessary for detecting even the latest viruses and threats in each scan via the daily update of the signature file.

With this tool, Panda Software offers you the ideal complement to the antivirus or security program installed in your computer. Through your Internet connection you have access to a powerful antivirus, that is constantly up-to-date and simple to use.

And remember that Panda Software provides the best IT security solutions. At www.pandasoftware.com you will always find the solution that best suits your needs.

endquote

Thanks
Sdas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

Panda ActiveScan does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms...and scan for rootkits. It also uses non-encrypted virus definitions so you may have to disable your resident anti-virus program before scanning or it may detect ActiveScan as a virus.

To remove items is does not clean, download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free in "SAFE MODE". In your case, most of what is showing are cookies.

Cookies are text string messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a web page or navigate different pages with your browser, the web site generates a unique ID number which your browser stores in a text (cookie) file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from that server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them.

Cookies can be categorized as:
Trusted cookies are from sites you trust, use often, and want to be able to identify and personalize content for you.
Nuisance cookies are from those sites you do not recognize or often use but somehow it's put a cookie on your machine.
Bad cookies are those that can be linked to an ad company or something that tracks your movements across the web. They are called "profiling cookies," "persistent cookies," "long term tracking cookies," "third party tracking cookies" or "tracking cookies”.

The type of cookie that is a cause for concern is the last category because they can be considered a privacy risk. These types of cookies are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site). Ad companies use them to record your activity on all sites where they have placed ads. They can keep count of how many times you visited a web page, store your username and password so you don't have to log in and retain your custom settings. When you visit one of these sites, a cookie is placed on your computer. Each time you visit another site that hosts one of their ads, that same cookie is read, and soon they have assembled a list of which of their sites you have visited and which of their ads that you have clicked on. They are used all over the Internet and advertisement companies often plant them whenever your browser loads one of their banners. Cookies are NOT a "threat". As text files they cannot be executed to cause any damage. Cookies do not cause any pop ups nor do they install malware.

As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. However, you can minimize this by reading "Blocking & Managing Unwanted Cookies"

Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 sdas57

sdas57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

Hiii Quietman 7

Superb!! Simply superb!! I am amazed at this site! You are all so active and so helpful!

Thanks for the reply!!! Sorry for the delay in thanking. I had actually forgotten that I had posted a reply till I ran panda scan again today!! Anyway thanks again!!
:thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

Your welcome. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016