Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Partitions?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pfuller2004

pfuller2004

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:44 PM

I have a compaq presario laptop and it had windows 98. I wanted to get XP so I installed it. I remember when I was installing it it had said something about partions..anyway.. it is installed and when i boot up the computer it asks what do i want to start up with..........either 1 I start up in works fine but I would like to get rid of 98 completely so my question is How do I get rid of windows 98?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

If you're 100% sure which partition 98 is in, you could go to Disk management and format that partition. Don't forget you might have a recovery partition also
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pfuller2004

pfuller2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:22 PM

I am not sure at all.........How can I find out?

I am not sure about what partitions even are.....kinda new at all this technolgy stuff. I do know that when asked which program to open xp is highlighted ...if that helps any or is it alright to just leave it the way it is?

Thanks
for you help

Edited by pfuller2004, 05 November 2007 - 08:21 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:18 PM

Let's put it this way. You unknowingly installed an operable dual-boot system. When it asks what system you want and XP is highlighted, if you arrow down and hit enter you'll load 98. People try to do this and botch it. Why would you want 98? I have several programs and games that can only run in 98. If you go to Control Panel>Administrative tools and double-click on Computer Management, then click on disk management. You should see the drive with the different partitions XP uses the NTFS file system. 98 is normally FAT32. I assume the XP disk you used a full install
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 pfuller2004

pfuller2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

Ok I have found the partitions but when I highlight the one I want to get rid of it won't let me delete or format.
The partition that has 98 on it says system behind it and the one with XP says boot.

What can I do now?

Thank You

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

I'd say just use FDISK, but a lot of people are intimidated by it. I'd also recommend Partition Manager, but that cost money. The freeware partition manager that BC has listed in their freeware applications index is Gparted. Maybe others will any different recommendations
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

98 MUST boot off the C drive. XP doesnt care what drive it boots from. It can boot from Z
Remember, in a dual boot situation, the older OS is installed before the newer
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 pfuller2004

pfuller2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

I guess the whole purpose of this post was to get rid of 98but if anyone thinks that is is fine the way it is please let me know and I will ju8st leave it the way it is. Unless there is a way to only get xp to boot up with without being asked which one to boot up with. Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:20 AM

I said it before. I'd keep it because there I have a few programs that use 98. It's not going to hurt anything. It's totally up to you
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 pfuller2004

pfuller2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

ok Thank you so much for all your help. As long as you think it won't hurt anything than I will keep it.

Thanks again

Pam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users