Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heading For Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aran

Aran

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

I have ordered a new desktop computer with an AMD 64x2 5000+ processor & 2 gig RAM. No software bundle in the deal other than Vista Home Premium O/S.
- Could I get some input on some of the compatible securityware that is out there? Over the years I have used ZoneAlarm, McAfee, Symantec, PC Tools software and (of course) Spybot. What befuddles me are the suites that are offered these days. I'm running an old version Norton firewall and when I queried Symantec about compatability with Vista I got a no go and a hard sell. Looking around I see conflicting info on what works well. The major mags give reviews of an 8 of 10 on suites and then individual users trash the products in their online reviews. I am no stranger to and am not above purchasing individual software but I don't know Vista and thought it prudent to inquire those familiar with the quirks of the O/S before purchasing and installing something that may slow down, cause errors or lock up my new toy. :huh:
Thanks in Advance
A

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:51 AM

Well, if you don't mind paying, there's McAfee Security Suite. I've been running it on the 30-day trial on my laptop and it seems to work alright. I do use Spybot S&D, which seems to be excellent as always. You can probably also use AdAware. If you're looking for free antivirus, there are AVG and Avast, both of which have worked well for me. For firewalls, I've read good things about Comodo. However, it's not yet compatible with Vista, so you'll need to sign up for the email alert for when it is.

I'd recommend steering clear of ZA. I had it a few years ago and it mangled my Internet connection and I read in another post about it causing BSODs on Vista.

What is this Internet you speak of?

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

Hi Aran,, i have vista home prem & im running Avast anti virus,,, Spyware doctor,, i also run on another vista machine Superantispyware which i think is better than Spyware Doc,, i also use CCleaner on both pc's,, i have no probs with them so far. I do not have a software firewall as i have a router with a firewall built in,, i just use the vista firewall & all has been fine,,,
Good luck,,,,, Marbles
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

I'd recommend steering clear of ZA. I had it a few years ago and it mangled my Internet connection and I read in another post about it causing BSODs on Vista.

Always bear in mind that one should take user's reviews with a grain of salt. When reading a post, you don't know what is really going on with the user's computer and what might have caused him to give ZA a bad rap.

ZA Internet Security Suite is an excellent product....even on Vista. However, there are some conflicts with Spy Sweeper causing BSOD's on some machines. But if you don't plan to use SS, then this is one hell of a good firewall and antivirus.

If you want standalone, I recommend one of these complements:
- NOD32 Antivirus, Vista built-in firewall with the advanced options (2-way) enabled, CounterSpy for your anti-spyware

or if you want FREE products, these work very well:
- Avast! antivirus, Zonealarm Free Firewall, SUPERAntispyware & SpyBot Search & Destroy

Happy shopping! :huh:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:28 AM

At work I've had a number of issues with McAfee on Vista systems (although it has been less than the Norton issues). I use AVG Free for my antivirus and Windows Defender for my antispyware.

I also use the Windows Firewall with a bunch of custom rules. I recently tried ZoneAlarm on my home system and it didn't seem to work quite right (and it required some contortions to even get it running) and it gave me a BSOD when installing it. On it's behalf, this was also the time that my cable modem decided to go wonky on me - so it may not have been the Zone Alarm.

Edited by usasma, 06 November 2007 - 06:28 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Aran

Aran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

Thank You all for the replies. I met a chap from the building next to my work and he suggested I not get too much up into a bunch over the suites unless I want to tie up system resources. In conversation, I mentioned the unit has a built in wireless connection - something I forgot to mention here - and he suggested I use the Vista firewall since the wireless router limits what is 'visible' from the internet. He also recommended the AVG freeware antivirus and Spybot S&D.
Any thoughts?
A

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

In place of the Vista firewall, I've been using PC Tool Plus free firewall without any problems that I can find.

Also AVG Free (no problems), Windows Defender supplemented by weekly scans by Spybot (since it is free, and not using any background resourses, why not?)

Edit - to correct programs on Vista, not XP

Edited by JohnWho, 06 November 2007 - 10:06 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:15 PM

Thank You all for the replies. I met a chap from the building next to my work and he suggested I not get too much up into a bunch over the suites unless I want to tie up system resources. In conversation, I mentioned the unit has a built in wireless connection - something I forgot to mention here - and he suggested I use the Vista firewall since the wireless router limits what is 'visible' from the internet. He also recommended the AVG freeware antivirus and Spybot S&D.
Any thoughts?
A

Somebody on another forum clued me into this little gem called Sandboxie. Instead of trying to look at everything coming into your PC from the net and deciding if it's good or bad like a virus shield, it runs your browser or whatever in a "sand box". There's a very good explaination on the page. Best of all, the free version can be used on all your computers and does all the stuff you need. The paid version ($25) just has a couple of extra features.. mainly automatically cleaning up the sandbox files etc..

I've been running it on my XP and Vista machines and it's very cool. Other than safe surfing, a lot of people use it to install
programs so they can check out the program in the sandbox before letting it loose on their system.

Sandboxie

Edited by MilesAhead, 10 November 2007 - 02:15 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users