Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(question) Building Computer From Scratch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LilPinoyBoy

LilPinoyBoy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:40 PM

How do you guys do that/ like how does it work, and how much is the average total for building a computer from scratch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

well, how we do it, took years for me, of course I ama old tech, been building them for 25 years. The cost depends on what you want to do with the system now and down the road. I build out systems and build to run right the 1st time.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

The first step is to decide what you are going to want to do with this computer, are you going to want to be a serious gamer, or are you going to be doing some heavy video editing? Or are you just going to use it to access the internet and get emails.

The second consideration is just how much money do you have in your budget. This usually defines what you are going to build.

You can cut some of the guess work out by purchasing a motherboard and processor combo from places like Newegg and Tiger Direct. Once you decide on the motherboard and processor you can go to sites like Crucial and use their configurator to find out what they suggest for RAM, they will tell you what the max amount per slot is, and suggest specific modules that they have tested and know will work with your motherboard. From there is depends of just what you are going to add, if you are going to install a graphics card you will need to know what the current or wattage requirements are so that you purchase a power supply unit that will be large enough to handle it.

For a overall tutorial you could check out this site, there are others out there, just google How to build a computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:24 AM

building a pc from scratch is very easy, including OS install and updates can take you under 2 hours.

just remember to take your time and have fun!

EDIT: i cant say much new stuff(roberts and dc3 have covered 99.9% of bases), but a new tower alone can cost you from 350$-10,000$ roughly

in saying that, the 10,000$ tower has like 8 hdds in a raid 5 array, 2x8800 ultras all the other bull5h1t etc. :thumbsup:

you can get a whole package for under 550$(OS included!)

goodluck

Edited by 4ward_tristan, 05 November 2007 - 01:26 AM.

=)

#5 d3k0y

d3k0y

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

Guess I'll add my two cents. Built my PC about two years ago and still a great machine - still runs all the new games and runs fast. Building your own PC definitely has its ups and downs. Buying a pre-made machine is cheaper in most cases now a days...simply for the fact that they are mass produced by large corporations and they can lower the retail and still make the same amount of money. But building allows for much better customization; most of the machines are made for word processing, internet, and pictures because this is what most user use their computer for. Personally, I made a machine because I have lots of video and play games - I needed a better video card and more hard drive space. There is no mass produced machine that is like my machine. If you only use a computer for word processing, internet, and pictures, I would personally recommend purchasing a pre-made machine because you wont have to build it and it comes with a warranty. When I buy "backup" machines (anything but my primary), I buy from companies for this reason. My machine, at the time it was built, was essentially the worst of the best (if that makes any sense at all). It wasnt the bleeding edge but it was the lower end of cutting edge. And, in the end, my machine cost around 2,200 (not including monitor). The good things about building your own PC include customization, price in some instances, being able to install a good mobo and power supply (lot of corp. skimp on this), fun (for some), etc. But it can also be aggravating. If a product is shipped and doesnt work, you have to ship it back and wait for it to get back to build your computer (this is also true of products you may break while installation or compatibility issues you didn't know about). Price, for typical machines, also increases when you build your own machine.

In the end, the important questions to ask yourself are...do I need a custom machine for what I use a computer for? Do I know how to put it together, can I look up a tutorial, or do I have someone who can help me put it together? If you need a custom machine, you know what you need. If you want to build because you want a beast or a price break...usually better to buy from a company. If you want to build, and can build, because you need/want a custom machine...definitely build. Cost about 1500-3000 for a good machine (just the tower). Any more specific questions...please feel free to ask. Just figured I would just add a quick blurb with my opinion. Cheers.

d3k0y :thumbsup:
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'"

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici..."

"Not much really" - Sidis

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

d3k0y added pretty much what I wanted to say. If you have any question at all, no matter how trivial you think it is, ASK. Preferably before you turn it on
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users