Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Clean Install From Usb Dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ultraaa18

ultraaa18

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 4150 with Win XP Pro SP2 installed. My internal CD drive (that came with the computer) is not working; I also have a floppy drive I can install in place of the CD drive. I also have two USB devices: an Iomega external storage drive capable of storing nearly 300 GB, and I have a Sony USB DVD drive (no RW capability.) Here is my question: I want to reinstall Win XP by using my USB DVD drive (or if it's possible to do it from the external hard drive), but I cannot find a work-around that I understand and whose source I trust. (BTW: I can play music CDs on my internal drive, but I cannot install any software by using it.) I am not tech savvy enough to know how to edit a BIOS to tell my computer to boot from a USB device, but I'm willing to try with clear instruction from someone who's sure of what they are doing. I have my original WinXP installation disk. I'm sure that more info may be needed about my system for an answer -- I'll happily provide it if necessary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

In order to install the operating system from the DVD-ROM you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD-ROM is the first device in the order. If you are going to reinstall the OS you will need to reformat the hdd first, but before you do that make sure that you have backed up all of your information that you want to save.

Just curious here, but why are you reinstalling the OS? One of the reasons that I ask is because if you have infections that you can't get rid of there may be another solution, and if it is infected you should wipe the drive rather than reformat it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:30 AM

You need to check if your BIOS supports booting from a USB device. If it does then you can boot directly from the external DVD drive with no problem. If your BIOS does not support USB booting then you need to make a set of XP boot floppies. You can download an installer which will write the 6 floppies, which have enough stuff on them (including USB drivers) to start off the XP install. When their bit is done, you can then use your XP CD in your external USB drive to complete the installation.

Windows XP Professional Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:10 AM

To check whether your USB device can boot, your BIOS should reflect two options for USB support.

One will say something like USB legacy DOS support, while the other will probably just say USB Windows support or something bland. You need to enable both in the BIOS, exit the screen properly, and save the changes (using F10).

System will reboot.

Louis

#5 ultraaa18

ultraaa18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:15 PM

dc3: I'm reinstalling for several reasons, which include that my system has REALLY slowed down over the past 6 months and I've done everything I can to optimize, remove unnecessary files, etc., etc. I am also experiencing a number of "glitches" throughout the system that I cannot explain (I can compile a list, but I would have to take some time to describe them). I use S&DSpybot, Norton AntiVirus and Personal Firewall, Windows Defender, and I frequently empty my cache, temp files, and history/cookies. I reinstalled the system once before (a couple of years ago) and it really improved my system's performance. It just seems that it has slowly degraded again since then. (BTW: I bought the computer in 2002 with WinXP installed. I don't think it's unheard of to reinstall the system to return it to a pristine operating state.) Could you explain how to wipe the drive rather than reformat it? Thanks for your help!

#6 ultraaa18

ultraaa18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

Thank you, Budapest, your solution worked PERFECTLY!!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users