Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Problem

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 tmm5899

tmm5899

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

friend of mine has a computer with windows xp profeesional operating system and is trying to get on the internet through his phone line but the error says modem failure when i look the modem has a yellow eplanation mark what could be wrong and how can we fix this so he can get on the internet. i am using a public computer to ask for help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

Sounds like a driver problem. Does he know what modem is installed or if it is not a custom built computer, then what is the make and model and we can look up the driver information.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

Go to the device manager and uninstall the modem and reboot the computer, the modem should then be recognized as new hardware and the installation wizard will take you through the process and try to find the appropriate driver/s for it. If this is a custom build with something like a US Robotics 57k modem you may need a little more information to make it work.

It alway helps if you provide the make and model of the computer so that we are all on the same page.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

if you need help in locating the driver for the modem, let me know.

#5 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:54 PM

how do i do what the last person told me how do i uninstall it the computer has windows xp professional and i have no idea where to find the modem help

#6 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

is the modem internal, external? is this a desktop or laptop?

#7 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

it is internal and it is a desktop computer

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

okay, do you know how to bring up device manager?

#9 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

no he has windows xp professional what do i do and how can i tell if the modem is working and what do i do if there is a yellow explamation point

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:29 PM

In 10 years of fooling with modem drivers, I would rather find a driver for "miss daisy", if you can't find a driver from the computer manufacturer, you often have to pull the modem and look for any identifying numbers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

go to
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php
and download and install PC wizard, it will tell you more about what the modem hardware is and post either the info or a screenshot of it.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 06 November 2007 - 10:47 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

To access the device manager right click on My Computer, in the drop down menu left click on Manage, in the drop down menu left click on Device manager. If you go down the list you will see Modems, there will be a square box with an X inside of it just to the left of it, if you click on this it shows you the make and model of the modem. If you right click on the information about the modem another menu will open and one of the options will be to uninstall, click on this and reboot your computer. The installation wizard should recognize the modem as new hardware and take you through the installation process. If you still have problems you may need to contact the manufacturer of the modem for further instructions.

Once again, it would be useful to know what make and model your computer is. If it is a custom build then you will need to identify the modem, this may require pulling it out so that you can find the make and model.

Edited by dc3, 06 November 2007 - 12:44 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

i have a dxdiag of the system would that help you the computer was home built by another person and given to my friend all i can find it modem says motorola and it has a yellow explanation point over it. howcan i fix this the computer does not detect the modem and i uninstalled it and restarted my computer and nothing came up no hardware wizard

#14 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

you will physicaly have to pull the side off of the case, pull the modem out of the pci slot, and have a quick peruse over it for model name, numbers etc.

goodluck
=)

#15 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

did you even attempt what I asked?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users