Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 tmm5899

tmm5899

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:46 PM

my friend has a computer and when he plugs in the headphones in the front of the computer and plays a cd there is no sound what could be wrong and how can this problem be fixed the computer came with windows xp and he has no internet access. can anyone tell me what to do to try to fix this problem
:thumbsup:

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:54 PM

is there any sound thru the front audio? or is it just cd's that dont work?

if there is no sound at all - the front audio either isnt hooked up, or has been hooked up incorrectly

if its just cds - do cds work through normal speakers IE plugged into the rear-panel?

goodluck
=)

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:06 AM

tmm5899>> Could you be a little more specific with the specification of your friend's computer please?

- Make & model of motherboard
- Is sound provided by on-board sound or via a sound card?
- Operating system
- Your friend isn't pluging headphones directly into the CD drive on the PC is he/she?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

he is plugging them in the jack for headphones in the front of the tower and how can i find out the brand of the mother board operating system is windows xp professional

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:20 AM

Sounds like your sound drivers are missing or corrupt, you may have to download them thus that's why we need more details about the computer.

Easiest way is to look at the documentation that came with the motherboard, but I'm guessing that there isn't any? You need to download a free utility called CPU-Z this will tell you all you all you need to know about your mobo.
Posted Image

#6 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:41 AM

Maybe the connection between mobo and particular front audio out is bad?
As for the model of your friendís mobo it must be written on it or you can download for example Everest to find it out.

#7 Elfiero

Elfiero

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:03 PM

If he build this PC himselves, he'd need to connect the frontpanel connectors to the motherboard.
Find the manual for the MB, and READ it under "Audio Connector" or even "Front Panel Connector" etc...
Manual is located in the MB box, or on the UtilityCD for that MB.

#8 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

he got the computer from someone else who built it so how else can he fix the problem. and how can he tell if he has a sound card on his computer it has windows xp and when i go to help and support it asks me for a password. how can i get a password

As for the model of your friendís mobo it must be written on it or you can download for example Everest to find it out.

i have the dxdiag from the computer do you know how to read it i can send it to you via email or private message

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

This is quite possible that the connection of the front audio ports has become loose or broken in some way. In actual fact look on the rear of the computer, there should be at least 3 connections similar to the ones in the following image:
Posted Image

Try hooking up your headphones into the speaker-out.

If you wish to show us the info from the dxdiag you have to:
1. SCREEN CAPTURE the window dxdiag shows,
2. PASTE the copied screen capture to MS PAINT and save as *.jpg
3. Post the image to the forum.
Posted Image

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,556 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

Is that no sound to headphones or external speakers.
IS there a sound card,This should help. Looking at rear of PC where the slots come out,see if you see something as this Sound card image . Note the Colored inputs.

Go to Start,Control Panel , Sounds Speech Audio,Select Adjust sound
From the Volume tab check
1) the Vol slider is toward the high side
2) The Mute box is NOT checked
3) Click Advanced button ,See that no boxes are checked
4) Click the AUDIO Tab. the default device (what does it say?)
5) HARWARE Tab what devices are listed?

Or do this..Start,Right click ,My computer, Select Properties,select hardware tab. Click Device manager button, Scroll to Sound,Video and game controllers,,click (+). A sound card device is listed (perhaps Creative).
Note are there any Yellow Exclamation points on this page (these are conflicts)

Possible that small volume dial on front is turned down
Possible that setup is such that when headphones plug in speakers are turned off.
Look for Volume icon in system tray. Open to ascertain that nothing is muted.
The connection from the Headphone jack is not connected to motherboard,
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

where do i find everest that you are talking about

#12 tmm5899

tmm5899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

you are showing me the back of the computer there is a place for headphones in the front of the computer that is what he wants the sound to come from. also he has windows xp and if there is a yellow explamation point how can he fix the conflict

Edited by tmm5899, 05 November 2007 - 11:18 PM.

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:34 PM

This topic was merged with another topic, started by tmm5899.

tmm5899,
Please keep all questions concerning this problem, in this topic.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,556 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

The picture was to show you what a sound card would look like from the back of the PC. So one wouldn't have to open the case or install anything else.

Did you notice if there is the dial near the headphone hole (in front). If so try adjusting it to high.
Also that 'hole' should be connected by wires to the Mobo.That would require opening the case and a visual inspection of said connector.

Opening device Manager
Start,Right click ,My computer, Select Properties,select hardware tab. Click Device manager button,

My bad, first a correction .. A black exclamation point (!) on a yellow field. Like you see at the top left of this page,under the words Logged in as:
A Red X here instead would indicate a disabled device
Right click on the Marked device select properties
Post back what that says Error code perhaps or update

Everest free

Edited by boopme, 05 November 2007 - 11:50 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:44 AM

tmm8899>> In the recent PM you sent to me, I understand that your friend wishes to use the headphones on the front of the computer, but FIRST try plugging them into the rear of the computer, to see if the sound FROM the computer is outputted to the headphones. If no sound is produced then there is an internal problem either a software issue or hardware. You can then start to mess about with settings on your computer.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users