Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Time & Date

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jahid91

jahid91

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

hi there i was just wondering if you can help. basically what happened is ma pc had so mcuh viruses and became very slow, so one of my friend he came and installed window xp professol all over again. but he didnt do quick format he did full format. after that i was just having problem with my time & the date of the pc. everytime i start the pc the following message comes up.

"Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
copyright 1985-1988 phoenix technologies ltd.
copyright 1990-2004 dell computer corporation.
all right reserved

dell system dimension 4600i series
BIOS Version A09

invalid configuration information-please run SETUP program
performing automatic IDE configuration

Primary master: Disk Drive
Secondary master: CD-ROM Device

time-of-date not set please run SETUP program
strike F1 to continue, F2 to run SETUP utality".

when my friend tried to install the drivers from the cd that came with ma pc, it wasnt working because there was some problem with my cd drive so he bought his one to my house and connected it and installed all the drivers from the cd. Then he puted back my cd drive again back to normall.

but my main question is how can i fix the time n date. everysingle time time i start the pc the time automatically changes. but ma pc is not very old its window xp and i have been using it for 3-4 year.

anyway i think you got enought information to tell me what is wrong with my pc. im hoping for a reply as quick as possible. thanks.

{Mod Edit:Moved to more appropriate Forum~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 04 November 2007 - 07:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

Welcome to BC
You have to reset the date and time in your BIOS. When your first boot your computer stat tapping the Delete key (or maybe F2 on a Dell) This will take you to the BIOS where you can make the changes
BIOS survival guide
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

yh i do dt everytym bt again nxt tym start da pc i av 2 change it again.
so hw cn i solve the problem?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:45 PM

Do you have all of the current Windows Updates? If not try updating.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:02 PM

the mobo baterry could be dead too
music, music music...

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

Wow. I thought they spoke english in the UK! :thumbsup:

I think mike b could be correct. The BIOS battery that lives on the motherboard is dead. This is causing the time to go back to Jan 1 everytime you reboot. These can be purchased for just a few dollars at a computer or electronics store. Press the F2 key at startup to reset the time and date after changing the battery.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:48 PM

fnx, i went 2 pc world da uva day 2 buy a battery n im finkin do i av 2 install window xp all ova again or its gna ok if i change e. i quickly wntd 2 ask u a question about my cd-drive. my cd-drive it dont work propely so im getin a new drive but im confused which 1 to get. i got 256 MB RAM and my processor speed is 2.9GHz so wt do u fink i shud do. im nt sure exactly which 1 to byr.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

Your RAM and processor speed has nothing to do with an optical drive. Get a DVD burner. IT will read and burn both DVD and CD's. They're inexpensive, 30-50 US dollars
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

k fanx!!

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:15 AM

fnx, i went 2 pc world da uva day 2 buy a battery n im finkin do i av 2 install window xp all ova again or its gna ok if i change e. i quickly wntd 2 ask u a question about my cd-drive. my cd-drive it dont work propely so im getin a new drive but im confused which 1 to get. i got 256 MB RAM and my processor speed is 2.9GHz so wt do u fink i shud do. im nt sure exactly which 1 to byr.

k fanx!!

When posting, please use proper grammar. Refrain from 'text-message' style substitutions of words like 'u' for 'you', and 'ur' for 'your'. This is a multi-national forum, and some of our non-english speaking members must use translation software which is confused by abbreviations. Most of our volunteer members are very busy helping as many people as they can, and a post that is hard to read will often be overlooked.

The last quote is taken from the forum rules which can be found here.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:06 AM

On the date and time propertise, i ticked a box which says automatically syschoronize
with an internet time server. but it doesnt work properly so i try to update manually an error occurs which says the following message "an error occurred while windows was synchronizing with time.windows.com". why does the error come up?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:15 AM

There is a known problem with time syncronization on some systems after a MS update earlier this year.

Don't know what server you have elected but I find that I had to change mine from time.nist.gov to time-a.nist.gov and that one has been working well for me since I changed.

Louis

#13 jahid91

jahid91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:11 AM

i have two server there. one is "time.windows.com" and the other one is "time.nist.gov".
can you please explain it to me what i should do. im very confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users