Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

zone alarm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mike01

mike01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:34 PM

Guys
First posting hi
I usually get all I need by trawling through the posts
Ok here we go
Running win ME
Have zone alarm pro installed and running at all times and set to automatically remind me when updates are available
Now, when I update it seems to re download the whole thing not just the update
and takes about 45 minuites????I dont get a oppotunity to just add any new definitions
Is this right and if it is should I be uninstalling the previous one to save having two copies
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:52 PM

Hi mike01 and welcome to BC

ZA doesn't have definitions like an anti-virus program does. They need to add the latest viruses while ZA simply monitors incoming and outgoing internet traffic and blocks or allows programs based on your preferences and alerts you to new programs or processes that try to get in or out.

I personally feel that a lot of the ZA updates are little more than attempts to get you to pony up and buy it. You don't need to uninstall before getting the updates as your previous version will be overwritten. Again, I personally feel these updates accomplish little. I know people who still use 2.6 (one of the originals) without having any complications that can be traced back to the firewall.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:19 PM

Yes, it is downloading a whole new version of Zone Alarm.

New and improved features in ZoneAlarm Pro version 5.5.062.011
* Fixed IPC instability issue
* Routine maintenance items

This release fixes some issues ZAP had with WinXP SP2.

You can install overtop of your old version using the updater, but many like to uninstall the old version and do a fresh install of the new version. Either way seems to work fine, I have seen no real issues on the updgrade this time. A couple updates ago there were some major issues.

#4 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:37 AM

Hey - what are they up to at ZA! I just clicked on the "renew" tab in the program, just to renew my support subscription, and found I was downloading a whole new version, which I already have. Not only that, I was charged more than twice the amount that my daughter was quoted to "renew" hers.

I have emailed their customer support, and await a reply. May be quite a wait.......

Luci2a :thumbsup:

#5 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:20 AM

I personally feel that a lot of the ZA updates are little more than attempts to get you to pony up and buy it. You don't need to uninstall before getting the updates as your previous version will be overwritten. Again, I personally feel these updates accomplish little. I know people who still use 2.6 (one of the originals) without having any complications that can be traced back to the firewall.

Maybe Leurgy is correct in what he says although one would have thought it should only update only what it needs. Strange.
JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users