Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's The Difference In Ram/processors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MattRiddle

MattRiddle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:21 PM

This has confused me ever since the beginning of time. I always thought that a higher Ghz on a processor meant that it was better. So a 3.4 Ghz Processor is better than a 3.0 Ghz Processor. But then I see times where the computers with lower processors are more expensive than the ones with the higher processors. And then there is the whole AMD thing, that you see on ads, that doesn't even say the Ghz on it but instead some name like Althlon, Celerlon, etc. How do we know how good those processors are?

The same thing applies to RAM. I sometimes see a 512MB Ram stick go for more than a 1GB ram stick. Why is that?

The reason I ask is because I want to get me a new computer and I want to buy the best one I can get for the money I have. So knowing what kind or RAM is better or worse and what kind of processors are better would help tons.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

newer processors may run slower but on the chip is not just 1 processor, some have 2 and some have 4 processors. so they may run slow but the are actually faster than a higher Ghz single processor.

#3 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

Different brands give you different values. Different materials, manufacturing techniques, quality control will vary the cost of an item greatly.

With processors you have 2 major manufacturers: Intel and AMD

Pentium (M or D), Celeron, Core 2 (Duo, Quad, or Extreme), Xeon, etc. are all different Intel processor models made by Intel and all offer different Value and Performance features.

AMD makes the Opteron, and others I can't recall at the moment and also offer a large number of performance and value options.

With processors you have the clock speed (ie 1.86gHz), you have single core, dual core, quad core and now dual quad core processors and to complicate things further you have many different types of each (ie e6300), each promising a different level of performance. In theory the more cores, the less stress you put on each processor, inturn allowing them to run at cooler temperatures and more efficiently.

ALL processors give you the specs if you look past the sticker on the front of the computer case.

RAM is manufactured by a much larger pool of manufacturer giving the buyer much more choice and confusion. I find looking for a reputable name is the first step.

RAM chips also aren't simply rated by size, they are also rated by speed or data rate and many more variables. You can have a 512mb chip with a speed of 133mHz and you can have a 512mb chip with a speed of 1066mHz that are vastly different in price and will not be compatable with the same computer (mobo).

These days they have added many features to RAM chips too, such as heat sinks and other cooling methods like forced air and water cooling systems (the cooler temperatures allow the chips to function more efficiently).

You will spend more if quality is what you're looking for, and the bottom line is you pay for what you get.
music, music music...

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

If your looking to upgrade your computer we can help you choose your components. What is your primary use for the computer?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users