Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempted To Repair...now Wish I Hadn't: Bad Install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:03 AM

My HP crashed after accidentally stopping a process with the mngr and wouldn't boot for anything. Wouldn't let me restore, recover, or even run in safe mode. I created the 6 bootable floppy disks from MS but they froze up 1/2 way thru # 5. So I acquired another copy of XP (my original cd long gone) and attempted a repair - well, I couldn't get that to happen, so I let it fully install.

Now I've got a fresh version alright, but I can't use half of my programs and almost all of my files are "hidden" in sub-folders and most of THOse are now empty.

I was able to salvage quite a bit of extremely valuable info though (that is, it is THERE) I just can't access it. Word doesn't work, nor do the other MsOffice Tools (picture view, etc).

I guess what I want to know is:

Is there any way to merge the current version with the previous? Can I somehow import all of that information?

Fix this for me and I'll send you a gift (swear!)

HP a1100y
XP Pro sp-2
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:59 AM

hm thats a bit of a messy situation...ill have a guess and say sorry no, you are alot better off ghosting your hdd, fresh installing and getting the data off...

goodluck
=)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

If you have two installs, you should have two Windows folders on the same partition. Or did you install one on a different partition?

As for accessing data files on the first install...from the second install...that's easy. You can even access personal files, all you have to do is take ownership of them from the second install.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

But you will not be able to "merge" both installs and you will not be able to move programs from one to the other. You can move favorites, WAB, etc. but no programs which are already installed.

If you go that route (moving to the second install) and you have two Windows folders...the way to get rid of the first install is to boot into the second and delete the Windows folder of the first. You should also edit the boot.ini file to reflect removal of the first.

I've done this :thumbsup: and I just chose to do a repair install of XP because I wanted to make sure that the boot files were in proper order. It was overkill on my part, but I was comfortable with doing that, took all of about 35 minutes.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:54 AM

Have you installed the drivers for your devices (after installing XP)? If not, then you'll find all sorts of strange issues. Check Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any red x's or yellow !'s to point out the drivers that need to be installed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:20 AM

Sorry guys, I was busy with the clean up...

Louis, as usual, you are right on the $ with your advice. I had recently been experimenting with multiple new drives (second hdd, second dvd+wr, flppy, ect.) damn expansion bay...looks like I overdid it.

Anywho, I'm now off to try to take ownership (although I've already cleaned most of the mess) or at least check out my options.

Almost ALL of my drivers made it though the ordeal, thanx Usie, ran Driver Genius just to be safe...

Always appreciated guys!!!
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:46 AM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

The forums allow us users to help other users (and be helped) and it's always easy when I run into something I experienced.

Happy computing!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users