Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Eraser!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:42 PM

Has anybody here used a program called Eraser?One of my best friends swears by this program for cleaning up free space on his hdd.He also said it's excellent for deleting programs.Perhaps someone here who uses it would share there experience of this program with me.Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

I've been using Eraser for several years, and can't imagine being without it.
I don't Delete anything, any more, I erase it.
Just make sure, that when you erase anything, you want it gone, for good, because you can't recover it from the Recycle Bin, like you can, when you delete something.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

I've just downloaded this program to understand how it works.Besides just deleting items have you ever cleaned the empty space on your hdd with it?

#4 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

This would be a decent product to have a tutorial on.

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

I've used it to "wipe" several drives. A couple were mine, a couple were for friends that had business info on the drives and were getting rid of them. I like it, and use it whenever I need to wipe something.
It's a fairly easy program to use, you can erase folders, or empty space on drives. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:11 PM

I understands how to clear empty space on the hdd,I'm still trying to figure out how clean IE7 and outlook express.I wish I had a good tutorial to go by.My settings are 1 for the hdd and 7 Schneider's for all the rest.Apparently from what i've read so for is most of the junk that you deletes regularly is in fact not deleted at all.It's nice to see that people here use it as well.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:44 PM

Eraser, which I have used for several years, is not designed to identify and then clean up unneeded or unwanted files, but to permanently erase files selected by the user.

Under most circumstances, you would not really need a setting higher than 3.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:53 PM

Another good one ive found is " ccleaner "
http://www.ccleaner.com/

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

I would only mention that CCleaner is also a very powerful application. Unless you are very careful about using it (and avoiding some of the registry functions provided) an average user can do serious harm to his operating system and to needed applications.
Personally, I avoid all registry cleaners--- since their danger far outweighs the slight benefits they provide.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users