Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen - Hard Drive Issues?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mgvictor

mgvictor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

Back in July my 250GB hard drive crashed and had to be replaced on my 3 year old Gateway 710x [3.00Ghz P4, 1.5Gb RAM]. I had installed an older PATA 40GB HD that I had from a previous PC and installed the operating system (Windows XP Media Edition 2004) on this drive using the reinstall disk that came with the PC. I purchased a new 320GB (SATA) hard drive where Iíve partitioned it into 2 sections, one section for files and one section for programs. The computer crashes Ė Blue Screen Ė at least a couple of times a day and needs to be turned off and back on again. At least once every few days, after it had crashed and I turn it off and then on again, I get a blank screen and then the words ďError Loading OSĒ. The only way the system will reboot at this point is if I turn it back off, unplug the new 320GB SATA drive, and reboot the machine. This works, but then I donít have access to this drive and all its files. I then have to shut down the machine again, plug in the SATA drive again, turn it back on, and it works again.

This is driving me nuts. Iíve run all my updated Virus / Spyware programs. Iím ready to reinstall the operating system, but wanted to post here in the hopes that this painful process can be avoided. Iíll update my post with the EXACT wording of the Blue Screen next time it comes up, and track the time it crashes and pull the info from the EVENT VIEWER and post that as well.

In the meantime, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!

mg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

You might try doing a system restore.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:53 PM

Until you post the error messages, it's hard to suggest a course of action.

That being said, you might try double checking the jumper settings on the drives. Make sure the 40GB drive is set as master and the other drive is set as slave. If either of them are set to Cable select, change it to master/slave as appropriate.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

SATA drive don't get connected as master and slave as IDE types do, and if the hdd was working prior to these blue screens then it shouldn't be a jumper setting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:04 AM

check your boot.ini , it may be pointing to the wrong partitions.

post it here ill post my default for a comparison:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
=)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:07 AM

Well....(drum roll)...my WAG is that you might need a BIOS update for that system.

3 years old would make it 2004/5 vintage and there may have been problems then that have been corrected by a BIOS update. It won't hurt to check the Gateway website and see if such pertains for your system.

Also...what does Event Viewer reflect about all this?

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:25 AM

The BSOD's seem to point towards (but not directly at) hard drive issues - so investigating your hard drives and their drivers may reveal the issue with it.

Check the drivers on the system to make sure that they're up to date
Check the hard drives to make sure that they're connected properly and that any IDE devices have the jumpers set appropriately
Run diagnostic tests on the hard drives - they're usually free from the manufacturer
Try each drive in the system alone - to see if they can function separately. This may point to a driver issue or an issue with the BIOS that you may need to fix.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 mgvictor

mgvictor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

Ok. The PC crashed 4 times in the past 2 hours. Here is the Blue Screen info:

1st time: KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

*** STOP: 0X0000007A (0X0E1D5A458, 0XC000000E, 0XBF906419, 0X28D8C860)
*** win32k.sys - Address BF906419 base at BF900000, datastamp 45F013F6

2nd time: A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectadly exited or been terminated.

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x88B46998, 0x88B46B0C, 0x80604418)

3rd time: KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

*** STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE1BBCD80, 0xC000000e, 0xBF9308e9, 0x17644860)

4th time: A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectadly exited or been terminated.

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x88807590, 0x88807704, 0x80604418)

That being said, you might try double checking the jumper settings on the drives. Make sure the 40GB drive is set as master and the other drive is set as slave. If either of them are set to Cable select, change it to master/slave as appropriate.

I can't find how to ensure the SATA drive is set to slave. Any documentation I've found states that this is automatic with SATA. It's in the SATA 1 slot on the motherboard (as opposed to SATA 0. I'm assuming that the 40GB PATA is already set to Master, since that's what it was in the previous PC.

3 years old would make it 2004/5 vintage and there may have been problems then that have been corrected by a BIOS update. It won't hurt to check the Gateway website and see if such pertains for your system.

Called Gateway on this, and they told me that there are no BIOS updates for my particular system, and that they do not support any changes for the BIOS.

Attached is the Event Viewer jpg on the 1st crash. The others didn't show any errors in event viewer for whatever reason.

How do I do this??

Thanks for all the help!
mg

Attached Files

#9 mgvictor

mgvictor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

Here is my boot.ini info:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Anything out of the ordinary here? Thx.
mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users