The problem is that whenever I put a disc, any disc, into my DVD-ROM drive, Windows XP SP2 freezes up. It happens while windows is scanning the disc, you know, the little "CD" icon flashes behind the cursor, and suddenly everything will freeze and even the mouse and keyboard stop responding.
Here's the catch: this only started after I reinstalled Windows, and I can still use the disc drive as long as I put a disc in during startup so that windows won't scan it. That's right: I can actually read from the drive, as long as I put in the disc during startup (either at the BIOS screen or while windows is loading, it freezes at the desktop, haven't tried the login screen yet.)
Today a new wrinkle was introduced: I did an experiment and put a CD into the drive under Safe Mode. voila, it worked exactly as expected, no crash. So I tried going into msconfig and setting it to "Diagnostic Startup." I rebooted and put a CD in. It froze. I tried setting msconfig on Normal Startup. Again, it froze. I had disabled a number of background processes to increase performance, but as after rebooting with Normal Startup set the problem still occurred, I don't think that can be the problem.
I haven't run any virus scans as this computer stays off the Internet. It only goes online when it needs to do software verification or something along those lines. I never, ever, browse on it. Should I run some sort of malware scan? If so, what software?
Here is a list of the processes which are running under Safe Mode or Diagnostic Startup:
explorer.exe svchost.exe [there always seem to be a number of instances of this] lsass.exe services.exe winlogon.exe csrss.exe smss.exe System System Idle Process userinit.exe
I should also note that under Safe Mode (wherin no freeze occurred) my nvidia drivers did not appear to be loaded: moving windows was slow with obvious redraws. Under Diagnostic Startup (wherein a freeze did occur) the drivers had apparently been over.
The DVD-ROM drive is running the generic driver that Windows installed for it. It's never run anything else, yet it's never had problems like this until this recent reinstall.
I'm not saying that the reinstall is necessarily the problem, it could have been something that occurred after the reinstall. That's just when I first started to notice it.
That's all...I hope someone can help! Thanks.