Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd-rom Causes Freeze

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PlantPerson

PlantPerson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

Hello guys...I've been using the Startup lists on your site for a while now, but this time I've failed to find the solution myself and thought I'd ask for help.

The problem is that whenever I put a disc, any disc, into my DVD-ROM drive, Windows XP SP2 freezes up. It happens while windows is scanning the disc, you know, the little "CD" icon flashes behind the cursor, and suddenly everything will freeze and even the mouse and keyboard stop responding.

Here's the catch: this only started after I reinstalled Windows, and I can still use the disc drive as long as I put a disc in during startup so that windows won't scan it. That's right: I can actually read from the drive, as long as I put in the disc during startup (either at the BIOS screen or while windows is loading, it freezes at the desktop, haven't tried the login screen yet.)

Today a new wrinkle was introduced: I did an experiment and put a CD into the drive under Safe Mode. voila, it worked exactly as expected, no crash. So I tried going into msconfig and setting it to "Diagnostic Startup." I rebooted and put a CD in. It froze. I tried setting msconfig on Normal Startup. Again, it froze. I had disabled a number of background processes to increase performance, but as after rebooting with Normal Startup set the problem still occurred, I don't think that can be the problem.

I haven't run any virus scans as this computer stays off the Internet. It only goes online when it needs to do software verification or something along those lines. I never, ever, browse on it. Should I run some sort of malware scan? If so, what software?

Here is a list of the processes which are running under Safe Mode or Diagnostic Startup:
explorer.exe
svchost.exe [there always seem to be a number of instances of this]
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
System
System Idle Process
userinit.exe

I should also note that under Safe Mode (wherin no freeze occurred) my nvidia drivers did not appear to be loaded: moving windows was slow with obvious redraws. Under Diagnostic Startup (wherein a freeze did occur) the drivers had apparently been over.

The DVD-ROM drive is running the generic driver that Windows installed for it. It's never run anything else, yet it's never had problems like this until this recent reinstall.

I'm not saying that the reinstall is necessarily the problem, it could have been something that occurred after the reinstall. That's just when I first started to notice it.

That's all...I hope someone can help! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:58 PM

You could try going into the device manager and uninstalling the drive, reboot so the the install wizard recognizes it as new hardware and will then install it and find the proper drivers for it. If for what ever reason you have a corrupted driver this should take care of that.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 PlantPerson

PlantPerson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:03 AM

All right, I'll try that next. Is this likely to cause any weird problems? I've had some difficulty while messing with optical drives in the past (although admittedly that was in Windows 98)

EDIT: Well, I tried it. There were no issues but it did not solve the problem.

Edited by PlantPerson, 04 November 2007 - 07:37 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

Well...try a different optical drive. If the problem can be isolated to that particular device, the inference can be made that the device is the problem.

I would also check Event Viewer for indications that the drive has problems.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Hardware goes bad...and manifest strange, varying effects on computer systems.

You could also go into the BIOS just to make sure that the drive is properly detected there. Not sure how meaningful that would be, but it's just one more item that can be confirmed indicating that the drive should be fully functional.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2007 - 07:53 AM.

#5 PlantPerson

PlantPerson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

Perhaps I should mention that this machine has two optical drives. The second is a CDRW and I've never seen it cause this kind of behavior.

I'll look into the event viewer and check the BIOS.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:23 AM

While in Safe Mode there are a limited amount of applications and drivers active which is why it is such a good application for trouble shooting. With the drive working in Safe Mode but not in normal operation it makes me wounder if there is an infection. Have you run any scans for infections? If you do you will be more effective if you do this in Safe Mode.

When you reinstalled the OS did you wipe the drive or reformat? And what was the problem that made you reinstall the OS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 PlantPerson

PlantPerson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

When I reinstalled the drive was formatted but not erased. I simple deleted the partition table if I remember correctly, then used the windows reinstall disc afterward.

The problem was, if I remember correctly (this was several months ago) that winlogon.exe was causing some sort of crash during shutdown which then caused windows to auto-restart. Therefore it was restarting every time I tried to shut down. Not fun. I can't remember exactly what brought on the problem but I seem to remember it had something to do with reckless driver modification.

I seriously doubt that there's any sort of malware as this computer is not really used for browsing and is practically always offline, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt just to install AVG and give it a look-over. Are there any other scans you'd suggest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users