Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP fails to boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 apsccltd

apsccltd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:56 PM

I have a similar problem to WHS00 UD04.

Whenever I turn the computer on a screen comes up that displays the option to Enter Safe Mode, Start up with last known good configuration or normal mode. Whichever option is selected the machine restarts, but ends up at the same screen.

I've tried booting from the XP Recovery Disk, but whether I press 'R' to Repair or Enter to continue I get the same error;

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected
to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is
correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic
or setup program

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3."

Pressing F3 gives no response, even the power switch does not respond. I need to press the reset switch to get things moving again.

The BIOS seems to recognise the SATA controlled hard-disk on boot-up, but entering the BIOS setup shows no Primary or Secondary Master IDE. I realise that this maybe a hardware problem, but any help or advice would be most appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

If all else fails: Id give it a day or two to see if there are any better alternatives.

Get out the restore disk. Open you cd drive and shut your computer off. Put the restore disk in and close. Restart your computer. Hopefully your motherboard didn't melt. This should boot from cd...yea I thiink its time to start over. If you have any backups...nows the time to go find them. Before you do this...try hitting f8 right from the time you turn your comp on till it beeps and keeps on beepin...if you can get in safe mode that way it may boot. One last thing to check...did you spill soda or somethin on keyboard that could cause f8 button to go nutts? joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users