Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Repair Failure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

Hello again everyone!

My computer has been crazy lately; long startups of 10min or more before windows screen, long shut downs that stall on the shutdown screen, and constant freezing of the mouse pointer in windows.

I have ran several malware scans (ad-aware, spybot, norton, and avg) and everything is clean. I even have a clean HJT log. I've tried reinstalling drivers, clean disk, defraging, etc. with no real help. I have everything important backed up (I am a college student and use it for internet and word processing) and I want to do a windows re-install (repair) to see if that helps. I've done it once before on Windows 95 many years ago and it helped (different system then :thumbsup: ).

When I insert the XP OS disk and chose Install Windows, I keep getting an error message that says: "Windows Setup: The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was unable to load the file D:\i386\WNNTUPG\NETUPGD.DLL. System cannot find the file specified." After that message, it prompts me to chose what type of install to do from a drop-down menu and 'New Install" is the only option. I remember there being more options last time. I have not proceeded any further for fear of ruining my life-line for college!

I don't remember this happening last time I did it, but that's understandable, and I don't want to blow something up! Is there something that I'm doing wrong with the repair? I've looked online at various guides for this, but the error message freaks me out too much to try something on my own. Also, I didn't find a tutorial over this procedure, but I could have missed it (midterms will do that to you). Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance...

drunkle
"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:18 PM

This is a great link to help you do a windows xp repair:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Hope it helps :thumbsup:

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

Explanation and some resolutions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q315349
Another good guide:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go and report back!

drunkle

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

Are you trying to run this from within Windows? If so, it probably won't work for you.

Try booting from your XP CD and you should see the normal choices listed in the links cited above.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

Well, this is one of those "good news, bad news" situations.

Good news is that the links you all provided for Michael Stevens really helped. The repair went smoothly (turns out I was forgetting one step, story of my life!). I haven't noticed any freezing of the mouse pointer or stalling on the load or shut down screens. But...

When I was finished installing, I declined the option to go online right away due to fears of the Blasterworm that's out there. When I was sure my Norton firewall was up and running, I went to the Windows update site to catch my self back up. This is the bad news. The website searches my computer for updates, finds that I need them and then lists them for to download. I do. Then I try to install them and everyone one of them (80+) fail. I've tried installing them with the Sheild icon in the system tray that says updates are available and the same thing happens to all of them. I've tried installing all of them at once, some of them, and one at a time and still no luck. I thought that maybe it was a connection problem so I updated to IE 7 (the re-install rolled back to IE 6) and tried it that way. I've tried dissabling ALL of my firewalls and other protection just incase this is causing a problem and still the same problem: always download, never install. And when I shut down, it prompts me to install waiting updates that have been downloaded. I click OF COURSE and it runs as though it is trying to install the update 1 of 80 but it never does and eventually it just shuts down.

I am at my wits end and don't know what to do! Is this normal and I am again simply missing a step? If it helps anyone out there who may be listening, I went throught the installation results provided on the Microsoft update website to chech the error messages, if any. I found them. Here are the error codes that were given to me: 19 said error code 0x80246002 and 1 said 0x80080008. Any thoughts as what is happening or what these mean would be very appreciated. Thanks for all of your help.

drunkle

Edited by drunkle, 04 November 2007 - 10:35 PM.

#7 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

I think I know what the problem may be. I didn't re-register when I was completing the install. It never asked me for my product key info from the COA label and this may be preventing the validation software from recognizing my computer. I don't know how to do this now, any ideas?

drunkle

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:47 AM

This problem of the updates not installing is caused by a silent update that Microsoft deployed in July that is preventing the "repair" feature of Windows XP from completing successfully.

Open Notepad and copy and paste the following command lines into the Notepad window:

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

Save the file to your desktop using a .bat extension, then double-click the icon of the .bat file. A command window will open, run the commands, and then close.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

Budapest you are my hero! I ran the batch as you suggested, went to windows update, and the installation began! I really am happy to have this back. Thank you so much. There is one last problem though. In the process of doing all of this, my computer has became seriously infected with malware, including the hijacking of my IE. So while I lay this topic to rest, I open another... But I am glad to finally have figured this out. Thanks again to everybody for their help.

drunkle

#10 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

Download these and run them in safe mode to see if it helps.

Adaware:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_2007_d506.html

Spybot S&D:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&a...ools_d2471.html

This is a good online scan, it takes a while. Go into safe mode with networking and run the online scan.

http://www.bitdefender.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users