Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fitting New Botherboard Bundle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glensumner

glensumner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

I want to fit a new motherboard bundle before i start i want to know what I'm doing i understand it's possible to kill a motherboard if its done wrong! first things i have a dual boot pc with xp home and mandrive Linux, now mandrive is on a partition on a second hard drive where i keep the things most dear such as my music! ( on an xp partition ) how should i proceed from here? i have read about with the xp disc doing a repair reinstall then after rebooting turning off and then fitting the new motherboard bundle, but i don't have the oridgonal disc it was preinstalled but i do have the 3 recovery discs will that suffice? what about the second hard disc and indeed os! i could always reinstall Linux but what about the other stuff on that hard drive? should i do the mb change without the second hard drive then fit that after all is well? well over to the experts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

what is it you're trying to do exactly, it became unclear in your post.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

I can only assume your trying to replace a motherboard or build a new computer. After installing the new motherboard simply restart the new components and have the driver disk ready for the new motherboard. If things go perfectly you will only need to update the drivers for the motherboard. If things go badly you will need to do a repair install, in which case you may be out of luck if all you have is your OEM recovery Cd's since they are system matched to your components. There may be other options and a Windows XP adviser will most likely chime in. Remember to unplug the computer from the wall before opening the case. Also be sure you are properly grounded to the outside of the computer case BEFORE touching any components in the case. You will also need new thermal paste for the CPU and heatsink/fan.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 glensumner

glensumner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:29 AM

cheers i will give it a go after backing everything up! will post back my results!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

If the hdd has the OS installed and came out of another computer you should be prepared to reinstall the OS.

"If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows."

This is an excerpt from this article.

Microsoft has documented this problem in this article.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

ahah ill refrain from starting a debate now :huh:

best method of attack: back your stuff up, and start from scratch :thumbsup:

to much mucking round otherwise :huh:
=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic