Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus K8n-dl With 7 Sata Hdds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 linuxguru707

linuxguru707

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:35 PM

hey everyone,
i have a asus k8n-dl motherboard with 7 sata hdds the problem that im having that it will not boot my os. my os is on a 40gb hdd with windows 2000

this it what i have working

4 sata hdds 250gb each with 1 eide 40gb hdd with my os on that

when i plug in my other 3 sata hdd's to the raid contoroller that is
on the mother board it will not boot my os at all.
i dont have raid set up and there just single drives only

its strange but i need some help with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/ar...02.asp&guid

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/393

Edited by Robert Isbell, 03 November 2007 - 06:42 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

Well...do you have the RAID controller drivers installed?

I have two PCI controllers which can be used to establish a RAID. I never use them for RAIDs, I just use them to add IDE drives. In order for XP to recognize those drives, my driver must be installed or I get symptoms like yours.

It doesn't matter what configuration drives are in, if you are using that particular controller...then those drivers need to be installed. Or Windows has no way of knowing/recognizing that hardware.

Louis

#4 linuxguru707

linuxguru707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

ok i got the drives working its not a driver issue there something in the raid controller i have to setup. its a word i never heard before called concated or something like that. anywas i have the drives working but i have another issue.

i only 5 of my 7 sata drives installed. sometime they show up in my computer and sometimes they dont. i went to disk management and they dont show up either. the bios does see the drive. i have a 550wat power supply with 2 cpus (non dual core) could this be a power supply issue.?

thanks

anthony

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

You should be able to see any SATA drive connected to your system in Disk Management and Windows. You should also be able see these drives in a BIOS (assuming you have two BIOSes reflected).

I don't know how your BIOS works with the RAID. With my PCI card, I wind up with two BIOSes and drives attached to RAID controller will show up in Disk Management and Windows.

I doubt if they don't show up...is a PS issue. But that can be checked by looking in Event Viewer...and by reducing the number of drives and steadily increasing.

I have a 500-watt PSU and I have had as many as 7 hard drives and a DVD-writer attached to my old XP 2800 system...without problems.

With the SATA drives, you might need to check your connectors...they are not as stable as IDE connectors, IMO and can easily be inadvertently loosened.

Check Event Viewer for info on drives, looking for errors. You can also check for info on possible PS issues.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users