Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Omgod Help!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 huMAC

huMAC

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

Well, I have a window proffessional. TOday I was messing around with the boot loader and I accidently change the orginally boot loader to this:

[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect

Now my computer wouldn't even start, because it can't find the OS.... I don't know what to do now. Is there a way to change it back or edit the boot loader?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

See if you can do the following.

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps: 1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

#3 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

It doesn't work, It doesn't bring up the XP as one of the OS but it brigns up he Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I think this is my orginally boot loader

[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=" Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect

Edited by huMAC, 03 November 2007 - 06:49 PM.

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

Try this:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...pairbootini.htm

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:17 AM

Make a copy of boot.ini and modify it to remove the stuff after the /'s in the last line (then save it)

Try booting with that boot.ini (name the other one something like boot.bak) and see if you can get into Windows.

If not, then try the Recovery Console by select the first "R" choice when booting from your XP CD.
Once in the Recovery Console, type the following commands followed by pressing Enter and answering Yes each time:
fixboot
fixmbr
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

This is what it ask for when I try to boot my computer:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Is there a way to get a copy of this file and put it in a CD and install it?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

hal.dll will be on your Windows CD - here's the directions on how to perform a repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

I no longer have the Windows CD because I threw away (I didn't know much about computer until last year). So it is possible to put the file into a DVD-RW and run it?

#9 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

hhhhmmm......i have never had any fun what so ever when troubleshooting crappy "hal.dll" errors

a repair install would be best...make sure that you back up your data before-hand though!!

goodluck

EDIT: no i dont think that you can straight copy "hall.dll" from acd/dvd to your windows directory

Edited by 4ward_tristan, 06 November 2007 - 07:40 PM.

=)

#10 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

Does anyone here have a CD I can borrow to fix it? I will send it back once its done >.<

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,861 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:52 AM

Well, I have difficulty understanding several things.

1. Without a CD to repair or recover the system nor a backup, you start randomly fooling around with key settings.

2. You cannot find anyone in your immediate area or circle of associates who has an XP CD that you could use, assuming that you have a valid license to run XP.

Oh, well...

Louis

#12 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:07 PM

Like I said ealier, I didn't know much about computer until a year ago so I have no idea to keep the CDs. And I was messing with the boot loader is that because my computer keep restarting.

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

Call microsoft and explain your situation. For a small fee they will send you the media (cd) for XP

#14 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

Ok I got my CD, how do i install the hal.dll.

I did these things and it didn't work

fixboot
fixmbr
expand g:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll
copy g:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Edited by huMAC, 08 November 2007 - 10:49 PM.

#15 huMAC

huMAC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:38 PM

Ok YAY i got it fixed!!! I'm waiting to get my internet back then I will post some issues I'm having on it. Thanks alot to all that helped me, I greatly appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users