Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Stop Error After Toshiba Recovery

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

Toshiba Satellite M45-S355; 1.8 Ghz Processor; 1 GB RAM; 100 GB HDD; XP Home SP2

Had to reformat and reinstall 8 days ago because of infections; used recovery disk (only did a quick format) and still had infections; infections now removed, verified by another helper here at the site - now have a clean HiJackThis log.

The other helper said come here for help with the STOP error. It has happened 6 times now since the recovery. The last time it happened (last night) the computer failed to offer to send an error report to Microsoft when it happens - don't know why. One of those 6 times Microsoft replied that I had a driver conflict but didn't know how to resolve it or didn't say what driver it was.

The last STOP error blue screen said, "BAD_POOL_CALLER" and of course all that stuff about recently installed hardware/software, then:
STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x0000000, 0xE33227C8) - it dumped the physical memory and the system stalled. I had to use the power button to turn it off. I don't think it had said "BAD_POOL_CALLER" the other times it crashed - should have written down what it did say.

Also, which forum can I find a "Toshiba Expert" in? The other helper said check another forum to ask a "Toshiba Expert" about uninstalling all the Toshiba stuff it put on during the recovery. This computer had a full format and a clean install of Windows XP Pro in May and I didn't have all that Toshiba programming on here. Now, with this recovery installation of XP Home, I don't know for sure what it is safe to delete. I already deleted the trial software that was put on during recovery. (I used the Toshiba recovery because I no longer have Toshiba tech support to walk me through a full format and install and I didn't know how to do that - plus, I lost my XP Pro CD!)

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

First look in Device Manager go to Start>Run and type "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes and expand all the +'s and look for yellow exclamation points
Also check Event Viewer for recent errors:
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html
Finally, download and run Memtest and post what you find
Mark
You can also try removing one stick of RAM at a time and see if that helps

Edited by garmanma, 03 November 2007 - 06:04 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

Thank you for your reply, garmanma! I really appreciate your help.

In event viewer: there was an error (in the source column it said W32time); and a warning 30 seconds before it, (Dhcp). There were other warnings and errors in days past with different things in the source column.

Also, there are dozens of downloads on the Memtest page - which one should I use? I've never done this before. Thanks for your patience, I'm a non-techie.

Sharon (HomesickInTexas)

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

Which one to download depends on the media you use floppy, CD disk, or thumb drive. Read this for a quick overview on it
http://forum.x86-secret.com

Mark

Edited by garmanma, 03 November 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

I apologize for being so stupid, Mark. I read the info you sent, but I just don't know what things like "writing the bootable binary to a floppy disk" - "by writing the ISO to a CD one can boot from the CD" - or - "Run from USB flash drive FIXME" mean.

I don't have a floppy drive on this machine, but I do have both a CD writer and a Flash drive. I have never seen this test before and on the installation page under Download (Pre-built & ISOs) there are downloads for: Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz); Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip); Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz);Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip); Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS); Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win).

I would prefer to use the flash drive because it's faster. Again, I'm sorry for my ignorance, but can you tell me which of the aforementioned file(s) I need to download to my flash drive? Also, after download, what do I do next? Thanks for bearing with me.

TOTALLY Non-Techie,
Sharon

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:49 AM

You're not stupid, I've only used it once and I have to keep re-reading the instructions. This program is just to test your memory, so before you even try it try removing a stick at a time and use the computer and see if that makes a difference. I would burn it to a CD:

To make a Bootable CD from with in Windows
You would download the ISO image that has a .zip extension. .tar files would be for UNIX/Linux. Memtest.ISO Then use Http://www.winzip.com to extract the ISO image to the same directory that you downloaded it to. Then using CD-R software you will burn the image to CD.
Note: Do not copy the image; there is usually an option under file or burner to burn image. Then you would simply re-boot the system or put the CD in the system you want to test and set the bios to boot from CD first or before the HDD.

+ Run from CD/Floppy

Your machine should now boot from the disk (CD/Floppy), display the word Loading followed by a series of periods and then show a screen much like the screenshots on the memtest86+ web page. The test is automatically started.

If your machine simply boots back into Windows/Linux you will most likely have to configure your BIOS to attempt to boot from floppy disk on startup, refer to your computer's/main board’s manual how to do this.

When you are done testing simply remove the floppy and reset your computer, if ever you want to execute the test again simply reinsert the disk and reboot/start your computer.

If your machine simply boots back into Windows/Linux you will most likely have to configure your BIOS to attempt to boot from CD-ROM drive on startup, refer to your computer's/main board’s manual how to do this. When you are done testing simply remove the CD/floppy and reset your computer, if ever you want to execute the test again simply reinsert the CD/Floppy and reboot/start your computer.

Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#7 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:16 AM

Okay, Mark, thanks. I've downloaded the ISO file and unzipped it and burned it to a CD. Just want to make sure that I understand the next procedure properly:

1. I need to go into setup and set the computer to boot from the CD.
2. Then turn let the CD boot the computer and the test will run.

Right? Does the test stop itself or do I need to stop it somewhere - seems I read in some of the info that it goes on and on until you stop it. Did I also read that it doesn't make a log? What am I looking for that I need to report back to you? Also, do I need to stay with the test and watch it run and write down anything?

I'm really not as slow as I seem; it's just that I'm terrified of doing something that will make things worse. I'm just computer savvy enough to be VERY DANGEROUS! I promise this is the last info I'll need before I run the test.

Thank you SO MUCH for helping me out.
Sharon

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:37 AM

"1. I need to go into setup and set the computer to boot from the CD."
Yes
"2. Then turn let the CD boot the computer and the test will run."
Yes
Memtest86+ has basic and advanced testing modes, differing in the time they take and the thoroughness of the testing. The basic mode should be sufficient to indicate any major problems with your memory.
The 'c' key will open a menu that allows you to choose between the various test modes. Any errors in your memory will be listed at the bottom of the screen.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

By now, you KNOW I'm an idiot! I guess I need to read MemTest for Idiots or something.

I downloaded, unzipped, and burned the file to my CD three times and couldn't get it to run; however, upon rereading the info link about MemTest, I see that burning a data image doesn't work. Unfortunately my software won't burn an image file without upgrading the software for $70.00 which I just can't afford.

SO, I need to boot to a floppy. I borrowed a USB floppy drive from a friend. I reread the tutorial. But, "For Windows, unzip the package into a directory like C:\memtest, insert a blank floppy into your a: disk drive and run the install.bat file." stumped me AGAIN. What does "run the install.bat file" mean? Run it from where? Start, run, then type in install.bat? Or a:\install.bat? Or from somewhere else?

My problem with tutorials and quick overviews seems to be that they already assume a user knows certain things like "run the install.bat" - and this user, sadly, doesn't. Can you draw me another picture, please.

Again, I apologize for being so dull.

Thanks,
Sharon

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:56 PM

Does this make better sense?
"To create a bootable floppy choose Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

Unzip the file and run the "runme.bat" file. It will run a batch program that prompts for a blank disk. Insert a blank disk and it will (very quickly) make a bootable floppy with Memtest on it. All you need to do is boot off of that floppy and memtest will start to run."

http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

Will try that now and get back to you.

Thanks again,
Sharon

#12 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

OK, Mark, the test ran for an hour and a half and I stopped it on Test 6 Pass 2. The red box on the bottom 2/5 of the screen contained numbers that were continually changing. After 1 1/2 hours, there was no report or anything.

The top of the page said:

Pentium M (0.09) 1862Mhz
L1 Cache: 64K 22988 MB/s
L2 Cache: 2048K 10119 MB/s
Memory: 1016M 1102 MB/s
Chipset: Intel :915PM/GM (ECC : Disabled) - FSB : 133Mhz - Type : DDR- 1
Settings: RAM : 106MHz (DDR2/2) / CAS : 2.5-3-3-7-1 /Single Channel (64 bits)

Wall Time: 1:30:00
Cached: 1016M
Rscd Mem: 128K
MemMap: e820-Std
Cache: On
Ecc: Off
Test: Std
Pass: (Forgot to write this one down, sorry - but I think it said "0")
Errors: 8192
ECC Errs: 0

The other numbers were in the red and continually changing. There were hundreds and I suspect you didn't want me to stop the scrolling and write them all down.

Did I do something wrong or stop it too soon, or is this what you needed?

Gratefully,
Sharon

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

If an error happens it should report it right away. I would run it as long as possible more than 1 1/2 hr. 4 to 6 would be better If the memory test checks out, all I can suggest is to reinstall the OS again
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 04 November 2007 - 05:02 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#14 Gary's Girl

Gary's Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

OK, so I needn't worry about the Errors: 8192! Whew! That scared the daylights out of me. Thanks for rescuing me from that terrible thought!

I will turn it back on as soon as I hear from you again and let it run 6 hours.

Did I understand that if something's wrong, I'll see something different on the screen than I did after the 1 1/2 hours?

Also, if something's wrong, it will stay on the screen, right? I don't have to stay with the computer for 6 hours, is that correct?

Thanks a million, Mark!

Sharon

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:04 PM

All that writing that you say is in red, what does some of it say? No you don't have to babysit it Go out and have a beer and a pizza, or whatever
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users