Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics & Image Loading Problems Windows Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 scotty38

scotty38

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

Hi
I am having problems with graphics and images loading slow and now i will try to explain what is happening

When i go into my photobucket all the images load slowly or not at all sometimes it just freezes up, when i go into websights the graphics load one at a time and when photos load they scroll from the top down when loading hope you know what i mean.

Its driving me mad i have been trying to sort this for about 3 weeks now with no luck i have tried every scan i can think of and i have just formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows xp pro

I have contacted AOL and they have told me there are no problems with my line but they always say that my Download speed is 2 mbps and Upload speed is 256k well thats what i signed up for.

Here are my speed test results
Posted Image

The speeds look ok to me

I have a Netgear DG834G v2 router with latest update, i also tried my old Bt Voyager 100 Modem and still got the same problems.

I have tried turning off ZoneAlarm and still have the same problems.

The only thing i have not tried is updating the Mainboard as im not to sure how to do it and don't want to mess it up and have to format again.

Windows XP Pro
Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon™ 64 x2 Dual Core 3800+
2 GB Ram

Motherboard
ASUS M2NPV-MX Series
Onboard sound & graphics

Thanks in advance if anyone can help
Scotty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

Have you tried looking in Event Viewer for clues?

How much RAM is installed on this system?

Run chkdsk /r from Recovery Console or from My Computer?

Defragged lately?

Is the system current with XP updates?

Malware defenses in order and checks done recently?

If you had the same symptoms just before and just after a reformat, that could be meaningful, but not necessarily, especially where updates and malware are concerned.

These symptoms occur only online? You have no trouble manipulating images from your hard drives?

Louis

#3 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

okay multiple issues.

1. AOL. you're having to naivgate their crap even before you hit a actual internet backbone.
2. Zonealarm was good in it's day, now it's as bloated as any symantec product.
3. not really an issue but all this is based on how fast the files can get from where it is, to the point AOL connects and then through AOL to you.

things I would recommend.

1. get comodo firewall http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/ free and good deal better to use. (you'll then uninstall zonealarm and install comodo)
2. download ccleaner ( http://www.ccleaner.com/ )and run the cleaner option and then the registry option (you will have to make multiple passes till it says no errors).
3. you're in UK, not sure what your options are for just a plain 2mb connection.
4. I linked you to the last graphics driver update from ASUS in your other post, you could see if it's newer than the drivers you're using now.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 03 November 2007 - 06:14 PM.

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

I don't check this area that often so IM me and let me know if you update this.

#5 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hi Louis

Just had a look in Event Viewer and there are errors but i don't know what any of them mean

I have 2gb of ram installed

Run chkdsk /r and defrag on both drives today

XP updates are up to date

I will run Malware scans asap but as this is a new system it should not find anything, i run lots of virus and malware scans before i formated the pc and all was clean but i will install and run scans as soon as i can just to be safe.

Yes These symptoms occur only online, offline i do have some problems waiting for folders to load if you know what i mean.

Thanks for the reply.
Scotty

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

Thanks.

This will help explain event viewer: What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

You are only interested in errors reported.

I guess that I also might as well have asked if you have XP managing your virtual memory/swapfile...IMO, you should.

In the end, this might be an ISP problem :thumbsup:, but it won't hurt us to go through a few basic steps and it will probably be informative.

Louis

#7 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

I just finished running Trend Micro HouseCall and it found 3 items and that surprised me i have removed them but i still have the same problem.

I have no idea if i have XP managing my virtual memory/swapfile how can i find out?

I am going to bed now as i am to tired to cary on but i will get back into it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far
Scotty

Edited by scotty38, 03 November 2007 - 07:43 PM.

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

right click on "My Computer" left click on properties. then click on the advanced tab and then click on the setting button under performance, then click on the advanced tab in the new window and down at the bottom is your virtual memory option, if windows is not managing it it will say so.

also. download http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and install it and then go to your control panel, and you'll have a option for it, it will show you all the programs and service that are autostarting.
under HKLM/Run write down what's listed, and please post them here. just the names, not the path info.

#9 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:13 AM

Under Virtual memory

A paging file is an area on the hard disk that windows uses as if it were RAM.

Total paging file size for all drives 2046 MB

(Start Up Control Panel)

Adobe Reader Speed
amd_dc_opt
AOLDialer
AVG7_CC
High Definition Audio
HostManager
IntelPoint
NvCplDeamon
NvMediaCenter
nwiz
SunJavaUpdateSched
TkBellExe
type32
ZoneAlarm Client

Thanks
Scotty

#10 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

Today i have removed ZoneAlarm and instaled COMODO

I ran Trend Micro HouseCall and Spybot - Search & Destroy they both found cookies but as far as i know they are not a problem and can be left as they are if i am wrong im sure you will tell me.

I had a bit of a problem updating Spybot it kept freezing up and got program not responding in task manager manage to update it before the scan, now i am thinking i could have a RAM problem is there any way to test RAM?

Also did a scan with AVG that was clean

Had a look in Event Viewer there are no errors only Warnings if you need to know what the warnings are let me know.

Thanks
Scotty

#11 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

Adobe Reader Speed
SunJavaUpdateSched
TkBellExe

okay those 3 can be deleted from startup. you can use startup control panel to delete them.

the spybot issue is odd. if you try updating and it fails again let me know.

when the issues is viewing images online, it depends on the connection and how direct it is, with aol, it's not a regular internet connection, since you have to go through their stuff first.

I'd like to know what services are giving you warnings.

I doubt it's the ram or it would be affecting the system as a whole.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 04 November 2007 - 10:44 AM.

#12 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

Adobe Reader Speed
SunJavaUpdateSched
TkBellExe

okay those 3 can be deleted from startup. you can use startup control panel to delete them.

the spybot issue is odd. if you try updating and it fails again let me know.

when the issues is viewing images online, it depends on the connection and how direct it is, with aol, it's not a regular internet connection, since you have to go through their stuff first.

I'd like to know what services are giving you warnings.

I doubt it's the ram or it would be affecting the system as a whole.

I will delete them now.

I can connect to the net without aol software running with the rooter i just have aol on as i am used to reading email and using messenger.

I have tried AOL, Internet Explorer and FireFox and have problems on them all.

I do have problems with folders loading and sometimes the icons on the desktop load one by one (hope that makes sence) its driving me mad now :thumbsup:

Scotty

#13 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

hmm, how many icons are on your desktop? AOL is not a web browser, it's online service, and not even a true Internet Service Provider.

it works something like this.

a true ISP

you--------ISP Servers--------Internet

AOL

you---AOL Server---AOL Server----AOL Server-----AOL Network------Internet Access Point-----Internet

#14 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

10 icons on desktop.

When i go into a folder on my pc what ever is in the folder comes up one at a time, some times control panel dos it to (on or offline the same)

some times before the icons come up they just look like little scripts (hope you know what i mean) then they look the way they should when they have loaded.

I have to say i like aol when it is working right.

Would a bios update of the main board help as this is the only thing i can thing of or a possible problem with RAM or virtual memory

Thanks
Scotty

#15 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

well, we've tested the ram, and it checks out. there is one test we can try.

go to http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchm.../AquaMark.shtml

download and run the tester, it'll run for a bit testing the video card. if it bogs down then we know it the video card.
which will mean you'll need to put a dedicated graphic card into the machine. I am starting to think that's the culprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users